Oil Pressure Gauge

Another part going south on the Aerostar. Oil pressure gauge has always read slightly about center. I know it's an on/off indicator, not reading actual pressure. Yesterday I noticed it was reading near the left side of the gauge, in the bottom 10% of the 'normal' marked range, but never seen in there before. Oil level is fine, no leaks, no noises, etc. Oil & filter were changed within the last month.

Will check the gauge problem out today using this link from autozone... sounds like it could be the wiring or gauge. Any other ideas?

I thought about converting it to one that shows the actual pressure, but from what I've read it sounds like that could interfere with the computer. If that's the case, how is the easiest way to add a 2nd gauge to show pressure?

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... Another part going south on the Aerostar. Oil pressure gauge has always read slightly about center. I know it's an on/off indicator, not reading actual pressure. Yesterday I noticed it was reading near the left side of the gauge, in the bottom 10% of the 'normal' marked range, but never seen in there before. Oil level is fine, no leaks, no noises, etc. Oil & filter were changed within the last month.

Will check the gauge problem out today using this link from autozone... sounds like it could be the wiring or gauge. Any other ideas?

I thought about converting it to one that shows the actual pressure, but from what I've read it sounds like that could interfere with the computer. If that's the case, how is the easiest way to add a 2nd gauge to show pressure?

===

I see several pages about R/R the on/off sender and replacing it with a "real" variable sensor. But can't find anywhere what the typical oil pressure of the 3.0 engine should be, and the full scale range of the stock gauge. Anyone know?

Also, can't tell if the pressure signal is also fed into the computer, or just goes to the gauge only. If it goes to the computer, I'll keep it stock. If not, I'll put in a variable resistance sender, or just install a pneumatic pressure gauge under the dash and run a lenth of

1/8-inch ss tubing to the sender port..
Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

The higher the resistance in the circuit, the lower your gauge will read. I'm guessing your old sender has developed some resistance inside, maybe some oil leaked in, so that made it read lower. If you have an ohmmeter you can test the resistance of the old sender while the engines running if it's where you can get to it without getting caught in the fan belt. I'm pretty sure the resistance with the engine running should be zero. If it's not you probably just need a new sender.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...

I had an old Plymouth Fury that the oil gauge was sporadic at best. Just to keep everything in the dash as near original as possible, I used a small pipe and Tee for the original sender and the hook-up for a mechanical gauge under the dash. Worked just fine, and I no longer worried about the readings (or lack thereof) of the original gauge.

Reply to
SC Tom

Buy an aftermarket kit and install it following the included instructions. But why bother? You've gotten away with a "glorified idior light" for 18 years, why change now? If the needle moves you've got pressure. Nothing has changed.

Reply to
clare

The "idiot light" switch is set for between 4.5 and 7.5 psi. on most fords Chevies can be as low as 2psi. Ford full guage systems are generally 80psi full scale. Going by the specs for the guage senders, accuracy can't be considered to be much better than about 50% anyway - the tollerance on the sender units is something like " 0-5 PSI=open,5-8psi=0-31 ohms, 40 psi=36-61 ohms, 80 psi=60-93 ohms" for the OP6662 used on some late model GMs, or the OP6609 used on some fords - "0-4psi = open, 33 psi=20-32 ohms,

63 psi= 13-25 ohms, 90 psi= 9-17 ohms"

So you are basically just guessing with an electric guage anyway.

Reply to
clare

[...]

psi=36-61

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Thanks for all the comments. I pulled off the wire at the sender, cleaned he contacts with fine sandpaper, tightened the socket and now working fine.

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... "Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... Another part going south on the Aerostar. Oil pressure gauge has always read slightly about center. I know it's an on/off indicator, not reading actual pressure. Yesterday I noticed it was reading near the left side of the gauge, in the bottom 10% of the 'normal' marked range, but never seen in there before. Oil level is fine, no leaks, no noises, etc. Oil & filter were changed within the last month.