radio question-not display

I have the Mach radio in my 2000 Limited. Fortunately, the display problem was fixed when car was under basic warranty.

Lately, the radio seems to have a lot of interference on the AM band-I haven't noticed it on the FM band.

The interference mostly occurs when driving close to power lines. Sometimes it drowns out the radio station almost completely.

I live about 40 miles north of Dallas and listen primarily to news stations in Dallas-FT Worth. These stations are usually fairly powerful.

Is this a probable radio problem, or an antenna problem? Or is it a characteristic of the Mach radio?

Thanks for any assistance.

2000 Explorer Limited 78600 miles V8, 2WD
Reply to
stevie

Big Shoe

Hi Stevie:

Have a similar problem with some of the AM stations (particularly 1190) . I live in the same approximate location (Plano) and it primarily occurs in the morning drive. It is probably going to be there as a PIA . In older radios, there was a tuning slug on the face of the radio to tune the AM antennae, however I dot think it is on the Mach radio ( I haven't found it ). It was behind one of the knobs. I live just off Legacy/Alma and later in the afternoon the problem goes away. Not help I know, but you at least are not alone :>) 99 Limited! Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

================== Another NO Help Answer, but; I wish I had "only"78600 on my 2000 Explorer V8 AWD... I have in the 99000 range. I recently had the radio display blank problem fixed by a local shop....they simply re-soldered the joints as I understand them.

I don't seem to have trouble with my AM stations as long as they are in the range, so to speak. Although upon occasion I will have the power line interference but I think that is normal for AM.....unless exotic measures are taken.

You might try to un-plug the antenna and re-seat it, just for something.

Has it always been like this or just started?

fathergoose

Reply to
Fathergoose

like you, it is very bad when under power lines, but otherwise is OK.

as far as always been this way, i really don't know. it might be that i am just now noticing it. i would think a really good radio would block out most of this interference.

my wife's 99 honda doesn't have this problem.