Re: the fire problem with the cruise control cut off switch next to the brake master cylinder

This problem was in a local paper where F 150's have caught fire from faulty cruise control cut off switches. They said the same switches are in some Explorers such as my 2002.

The switch is 20 or so dollars.

My question: can I easily change the switch?

Concerns: that brake fluid might run out or air might get into the brake system.

Reply to
Weldon Wallick

How would you know that the new switch is less likely to spontaneously combust than the existing switch? It's taken them a good few years to figure out that there just might be the slightest possibility that an infinitessimally small fraction of all the switches ever fitted might possibly, just possibly if there's a 'R' in the month, there's a full moon and the wind is in the right direction, cause a fire. How good was the quality control in the factory that made the new switches? You need to weigh up those odds against the very real possibility of losing fluid, getting air or dirt in the lines by doing a DIY panic job and then having the previously good brakes fail on you just when you need 'em to avoid that big rig that just ran a red light... If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Why not wait a bit to see if the scope of the recall is expanded. If you are concerned, disconnect the switch and see if there is any brake fluid intrusion. AFAIK, the concern arises when brake fluid enters the switch cavity and creates problems.

FWIW, the recall is "two stage",,, one for with fluid contamination and one for without fluid contamination. None of the ones that I have serviced have had fluid contamination.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Do you know if any 2005 crown vic PIs were in the recall? I sent mine to the shop for an oil change and when I called to see if it was ready they said it was at the dealer for "warranty service".

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I would be real worried about one shop sending my car to a different shop.. especially if all that the first shop had for a mandate was an oil change. If the lube shop was tied into the dealer, I would expect a "heads up" call and a request for either permission or a reschedule.

AFAIK, the suspect vehicles are in the 00 - 02 ish range. Your dealer can run OASIS to see if your car is affected by any recalls.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ford says they stopped using the "suspect" switch in 2004.

Reply to
Weldon Wallick

This was from an article in the Tampa Tribune last Wednesday.

It claimed something like 550 fires and one fatality from a house fire caused by the switch.

One Tampa resident parked their 150 in their drive. Twelve hours later the 150 burst into flames. It was destroyed and scorched their minivan and house.

They have started a class action law suit.

The people with the dead relative have done likewise.

I live in a four unit condo made of wood, etc. I keep my Explorer in the garage. I don't want to be the source of some kind of disaster.

WLW

Reply to
Weldon Wallick

It's our state gvt shop. They originally do the purchasing and all the routine maintenance and arrange any major maintenance they determine is needed. Like any large bureaucracy it's hard to find out what they are doing so when the guy on the phone says "we sent it to the dealer..." and you ask why you get a "I don't know, it doesn't say why in the note." Trying to find the guy who knows is usually more trouble then it's worth.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher