Rolled my '94 XLT today...

Everybody's OK, just some bruises, though our Labrador was pretty upset about being taken back home ( Hey! I *KNOW* we were going camping! You can't take me home! )

So I had the experience of hanging upside down by my seatbelt, shutting off the engine, and being helped out by some good samaritans.

OK, let's get it over with- my wife was nagging me about rolling up the dog's window, and a moment's distraction and I was going off the right shoulder, straddling an asphalt curb they put on the edge of some of our country roads, scraping along on that for a ways trying to get the right wheels back up on the road, til I finally did.

Bad idea, my wheels were turned too far left and I careened across both lanes. Fortunately, no traffic. I almost had it straight when the left wheels hit the asphalt curb on that side and I flipped over and down a

3 foot embankment, ending up on the roof.

So I feel pretty stupid about that lapse of attention, but since I only suffered some relatively minor financial damage I figure I got off easy. It was pretty embarrassing, would you believe they sent two fire trucks, an ambulance and some other kind of EMT vehicle, and, yes, a helicopter. Last but not least, the highway patrol. Everybody was very nice, they insisted on checking us out, even the dog, which I thought was a nice touch. It took like 3 hrs to get the tow truck out, drag the poor Explorer upright and back on the road, then call a flatbed and get 'er loaded. They dropped it off in front of our house a few miles away, and I had to call a junk yard to pick it up. Boy, they sure like wrecked Explorers, they were over in a flash, I signed the pink slip, and it was gone. I was going to ask about the pros and cons of various years, and I'm already taking a look on Craig's List for a replacement, but I guess I should save that for a separate thread.

So learn from the voice of experience- wear those seatbelts and fer crying out loud, don't let yourself get distracted.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Glad everyone is OK ! Good gosh that must have been scary as heck. Lucky you are. I'm trying to visualize this curb you talk about. How high was it? So you initially went to the right and straddled it, then tried to get back on the road and things went downhill from there? About how fast were you going when you tried to initally "unstraddle" the curb?

Reply to
HerkyJerky

Looking at my upside down Explorer, I could see that the front differential had been scraping on it. Must be 6" tall or so. I'm guessing they put them there to keep you from drifting off the road, only I did it just before the start of the curb so I straddled it. Maybe berm is the proper term. I'm guessing they put those in places where the shoulder is too narrow. If you were to pull off the road in that area you'd roll as there's very little shoulder and the road bed is raised. I realized it was more than 3' because my Explorer was below the road level. So more like 5-6'.

I was probably going 50 when I realized I was drifting onto the shoulder, and maybe down to 40 when I got back over the curb. I must have been scraping along on that for 100' or more. I don't remember braking, I was focussed on steering.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

ouch man, glad to hear everyone's ok though. good luck on finding a replacement vehicle. speaking of wrecked explorers... i totalled a '00 explorer sport about 6 months ago... surprisingly i was only doing about 20 mph! i was pulling out from one side of a divided highway to the other and hydroplaned as i tried to straighten it out. make a long story short, i slid sideways for about

40 feet and got a little too touchy feely with a bradford pear tree in the median. i got the whole firetruck+ambulance+police checkup too. anyway, hope everything turns out good for you! once again, im glad everyone's ok! (including the labrador! i've got 2 labs too!) God bless, aklmfreak
Reply to
almfreak

Glad to hear the damage is only pocketbook.

For future reference, the recommendation in such a situation is to slowly let up on the gas and coast to a stop or maybe, LIGHTLY apply the brakes. Before attempting to return to the roadway, you need to be calm and in total control of the vehicle and yourself. Then slowly ease back up onto the road, or if that isn't possible, get the tow truck.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

Yeah- I think I would have been OK had it not been for that curb. I instinctively didn't yank the wheel to try and stay on road, or slam on the brakes. I would have spun and rolled at 50 mph had I done that. I had it straight on the shoulder, and could have gradually brought it back onto the road had I not straddled that curb. If I had it to do over, I'd stay on the curb and start braking lightly. I was afraid I'd roll to the right, so I was turning left more and more, but nothing was happening because the front differential was hung up on that curb. Then it got enough traction and went all at once. Bad news...

I'm going to look at another '94 Explorer tomorrow, I think it's even the same color. 115K miles, he's only asking $2750. Auto instead of stick, but I can live with that.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Heh heh! I thought I was going to be looking at a cream puff, because he had been asking well over high blue book, and had just dropped the price to low blue book. It looked more like 215K miles than 115k miles. And the photos he had posted didn't show the severly oxidized, peeling roof and hood. He had polished the sides, so the paint looked glossy in the photos, but as my wife said, "looks like it went thru a rock storm." No major problems, he said, unless you count the 4 wheel drive being inoperative. I was tempted to punch him out, after driving an hour based on lies.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

[tale of woe deleted]

:( Ouch.

That's always the problem trying to replace, exactly, what you've lost. And the better care you take of your stuff, and the older your stuff gets, the worse the search for replacment becomes.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler