Rust on '03 Mountaineer

I noticed today that there is a "rust bubble" of paint on the passenger side above the rear wheel well. I looked in the wheel well and can see some rust forming...on both sides. My '03 now has 70,000 miles and is garage kept, but is in the "rust belt" of Pittsburgh. I would like to get another few years out of this vehicle and am wondering if I should do something NOW to retard further rust....or just keep it clean and wait until it's a bigger deal. In other words, can rust really be stopped or would can all one do is wait for it to become big enough to fix?

Anyone else noticing rust on '02 and later bodystyle Mountaineer/Explorers?

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Doesn't sound like much has changed in dear old Pittsburgh (at least car rust-wise). My wife had a 1963 Ford Falcon convertible (all black with black seats) that was her pride and joy. When we moved away in 1971, we had patched it several times and it still had more rust holes coming. I thought by now things would have improved.

We live in California now, the cars last forever. Tom

Reply to
Tom from WI

If the paint bubble is caused by a rust perforation from inside the wheel well, you may be elligible for the 5 year corrosion warranty clause. More info is available in your "Owner Information Guide" (not to be confused with the "Owner Manual"). Even then, it will depend on your warranty start date.

It sure wouldn't hurt to seek out a knowledgeable service advisor at a dealer and have the concern assessed as far as coverage is concerned...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Sadly, yes... Many years ago, I had a 93 F150 4X4 that had rust perforations on the box panels. I contacted the dealer I now work at to find I was about a month and a half past the rust warranty... Too bad, so sad...

Reply to
Jim Warman