Bigger Tyres on 95 XJ

G'day,

I'm looking to purchase a 95 XJ Cherokee Limited and would be most appreciative of any feedback on how much rubber I can stuff under it and what needs to be done to fit it (fender cutting, etc). I wouldn't go bigger than 31x10.5's (maybe 265/70's) and I will be lifting it by about 1.5" from standard (I assume from Sports height as opposed to Ltd) as a minimum. The standard 225/70/15's are too limiting, and 235/75/15s are too narrow for what I want (playing in mud!). I know the Limited's sit a bit closer to the ground than the Sports (I assume this is just the springs?). How far up can you go without having to alter drivelines, steering, etc? I've seen a picture of an XJ with OME suspension and 31s, but it didn't state what amount of lift. Can anyone help me out?

P.S. Be gentle - this is my first posting on a newsgroup ever, so I'm not really sure how it all works...

Clax.

Reply to
Clax

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hey Clax, I'm not sure if the limiteds were lower than a sport but there was an "up country" factory lift available on most models. I think the biggest difference between the limited and sport in terms of suspension was front sway bar diameter (28mm vs. 26mm IIRC) and I know there rear sway bar was standard on the limited... not sure about the sport.

If you want wider tires for mud, you're going to want at least 10.5"s and you will need to lift more than 1.5" to accommodate them.

Here is my '92 Limited on 31x10.5 MTRs with 4.5" lift

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

The Aussie Cherokees got the "up country" suspension on all Sport models and the standard suspension on the Limited's, as far as I can work out (since '94 anyway). I think you're right about the rear sway bar. We didn't get Cherokees for a while (from the mid-80s til late '94), but we've got the whole range now (excluding some of the US special-value-pack/models). The US Liberty is sold here as the new Cherokee, plus we get the Grand and the Wrangler. I'm trying to find a mid-95 or later Limited (I want ABS) as I like the idea of a highly capable off-road machine that weighs less than 2.5 tonnes (unlike the 'Cruiser, Patrol, etc).

A mate had 235/75 mudders on his 96 Sport, but they just look wrong (too narrow). Did you have to do any fender work to fit the bigger rubber and how similar are the 92 and 95 models?

BTW - I can't get the link to work so I can't see the pic.

Cheers, Clax.

Reply to
Clax

Is it me, or does the Cherokee have a smaller wheel well than the Wrangler/TJ?! Just keep noticing on my '02TJ that I have a 'lotta wheel well showing (more in the back) and that I can't wait to get bigger meat in there to fill it up!

Reply to
SB

Thanks Brian,

Just managed to get through to the pic. Nice Rig! Hubba, hubba! Like your choice of rubber - the MTRs have to be the pic of the non-competition mudders.

A couple of questions:-

  1. How similar are the wheel wells/sheetmetal of the 92 and the 94/95 model?
  2. What mods did you need to do to get the little buggers to fit?

Cheers, Clax.

Reply to
Clax

Thanks for the kind words - the MTR's have a great agressive look and do everything well... not to mention, I got them cheaper than what I would pay for BFG MT's

: : A couple of questions:- : 1. How similar are the wheel wells/sheetmetal of the 92 and the 94/95 model?

The sheet metal, flares and wheel wells are the same. There is a slight difference from a 2 door to a 4 door among those years but I think the difference only applies when you have to cut the fenders for after market flares.

: 2. What mods did you need to do to get the little buggers to fit?

Rusty's 4.5" leaf packs & coils, no trimming, stock Grizzly wheels from a TJ... not much else (yet).

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD