Smog Tests

Havn't seen anything about this on the board, but I'll be coming up for a smog test here in Calif where we now have to be on a dynamometer for the test. I'd like to hear from someone who has been through this. I have apprehension over the 4WD issue when only 2 wheels are on the machine. Any potential problems? (2001 4WD AUTO HIGH LOW)

Reply to
rex

There are a few words at http://hostingprod.com/@aa1car.com/library/im240.htmScroll down to the 6th full paragraph under "The California Model". It appears that either the test station must have a 4-wheel dynamometer, or your vehicle will be granted an exemption from the dyno test and will be subject only to a simpler idle test.

Lots of cars will present this dilemma to the inspectors - and more every year. Any vehicle with AWD (such as all Subarus, for instance) or a traction control system. Fully automatic 4WD would seem to be part of the same group.

The issue is well known, and the emissions test shouldn't cause you any problems, regardless of whether they use a 4-wheel dyno or give you an exemption. On a larger scale, the number of exemptions would seem to be growing as TC and AWD become much more common. This may lead the states/feds to mandate that more inspection stations be equipped with

4-wheel dynos, which adds to the cost.

Let us know what happens.

Bill

------------------------------- rex wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

I have a '91 and a '92 Explorer, both 4WD. I have had many smog tests and they never indicated to me that it was a problem. I have, however, been required the last two times to go to a "Test Only" station. I'm not sure why. Anyway, they both have passed every smog test. Do you have to push the "Auto 4WD" button to activate it, or is it always on "Auto?"

Reply to
Ulysses

The 2001 is always on AUTO, unless you put it into HIGH or LOW. Chances are that the "Test Only" stations have 4 wheel dynos. Who or what required you to go to the "Test Only" station?

Reply to
rex

OIC. Mine is 4WD only when I push the button.

The California DMV required me to go to the Test Only station on my last 2 smog tests on my '91, but not on my '92. I think I read somewhere that the early Explorers are considered to be at risk of being "gross polluters" but the guy at the smog test place said mine passed easily and couldn't remember any Explorers that didn't pass. It's not like it barely passed on the previous test or anything like that. I don't think it had anything to do with it being 4WD.

The test concluded with the DMV congratulating me (after forcing me to pay double for a smog check) for taking such good care of my car (as if I had a choice). No doubt they'll make me go there again next time.

Reply to
Ulysses

Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it. When I go through this I will post my experience.

Reply to
rex