Buying used GTI

I'm looking to replace my wifes 89 BMW 325is and have been thinking of a 2001 gti. Can I get some info on potential problems and feedback on this car? I won't buy an auto so don't worry about commenting on the auto trans, I'd like to hear about things like how hard(or easy) it is to change the timing belts and other typical maintence items. THanks,

Don

Reply to
iago_sucks

I have a 2001 1.8t manual that I bought certified pre-owned from a VW dealer....

Did the suspension this summer, was a pain in the butt to get driver's side strut assembly out...I wasn't prepared to lower the subframe, so I had to be a little creative with the coil spring compressors. Having (a buddy with) an impact gun helps.

Haven't really had too much to say other than that. Jacking up the car to get off the oil filter is a bit of a pain, but no big deal.

Haven't had to do timing belts yet, not even close to 60,000 mi.

Had the driver's side window regulator fail (window drops into the door), but VWoC replaced it for free.

And my 1.8T hasn't been getting the gas mileage that others claim - 16-20 mpg in city-only driving, and about 28.5 on the highway. It's not a huge deal, as I walk to work, but I think it would upset me if I was filling up on a weekly basis.

Reply to
KwazeeParticle

Timing belt replacement is 105,000miles. I bet you sell it before then.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I think the newer ones are up to 80,000miles. Not sure what the 2004 PD are yet. I'm sure the VW TDI t-belts will go a lot longer than what VW states. But, because of the 3000psi+ injection pressure there's a lot of stress on the t-belt.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Timing belt on the VW / Audi 1.8 and 1.8T is every 4 years or 60000kms (40000 miles) whichever comes first. So 2001 GTi is low mileage car and the belt hasn't been changed - it'll be due for a change in 2005.

MK

Reply to
MK

My 2003 manual has timing belt change listed for all gas engines at

105,000 miles. The TDI is listed at 100,000 miles. I do not have a manual for a 2001 to see what the factory spec is.

"MK" wrote:

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Next time, ask them about the new type timing belt and tensioner, as used in 2002-2003 TDI engines.

has plentyof discussions about timing belts and change intervals.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee