Steering Rack pt 2

Took it to the dealer today and they diagnose needing a new rack because of slack between the rack and pinion.

Now I contacted Explorer Express who is about 30 minutes from me and they said that they've seen this same symptom on a few Explorers where the boot over the shaft connecting to the steering gear lacks grease and is dry.

Ford wants $797 for new rack, alignment and labor. Explorer Express about $180 (give or take) to relube within' the boot, it's pretty hard to get at, could be more or less $$$ depending on time.

Any ideas?

2000 XLT, 4WD, 47k Miles
Reply to
IanCT