98 Explorer front end noise - steering gear

98 Explorer 4WD SOHC 105,000Km

I managed to track down the source of the front end noise I've been having for a while now (it's been getting worse).

After experimenting a bit I noticed I could hear quite a loud creaking noise when I rocked the drivers side front bumper up and down (the passenger side is quiet). Inside the truck it sounds just like the noise we hear whilke driving and can be felt through the steering wheel. After feeling round a bit and rocking the front end the noise appears to come from the tie rod connecting the rack and pinion steering gear to the front drivers hub. You can hear (and feel) something inside the rubber boot connecting the steering gear to the front hub via the tie rod.

Anyone have any idea what's inside that rubber boot and whether it can be serviced without replacing the entire steering gear? (I assume it's some sort of joint)

If I have to replace the entire steering gear is this something easily handled by the DIY? (it doesn't look too bad in the Hanes book)

Thanks,

Reply to
Al Williams

I have heard a similar problem, but have not been able to find it. I will check mine to see if that is it. If I find it, I will let you know what i did to change it or my opinion on it.

Reply to
Don-Don

Looking at it further (had another dealer mechanic have a quick look) it may be an outer tie rod issue. He said they seemed quite stiff as he had trouble moving them by hand and they were "sticking". He said they weren't an immediate issue but something to keep an eye on. Only way to know for sure which component (inner tie rod, steering gear, outer tie rod) is causing the issue is to start taking it apart I guess...

It would be nice to know if anyone has had similar experinces with noise from their steering...

Reply to
Al Williams