Stuck on first gear then shudders when cornering. Lincoln Mountaineer 98.

Gear will not shift into second or higher and the 4WDlow and 4WDhi indicator are flashing. Switching between

4WDlow or 4WDhi manually does not work. Turning a corner at low speed will cause the vehicle to jolt or slip and engage repeatedly.

Suspecting the gear box, I kneel down and find an actuator of some sort attach to it. It looks like a windshield wiper motor attach to a selector mechanism. I then check the AT fluid. It's empty or very, very low in fluid. I add fluid and the symptoms doesn't go away. Any thought as to the cause of these problems?

Thanks

Reply to
Tibur Waltson