When does the fuel pump normally first come on?

Hi all,

Looking into the 'won't start' issue from all the other issues with this 04 Meriva 1.6 petrol (Z16SE).

Starts from cold, seems to go mental as it heats up and then (when it's being funny), won't start till it's got cold (or timed out) again.

It was running at full temp at about 16:30 (fan cutting in) and it's (coolant) still 14 DecC at 22:00.

When I run the BCD tool is says the Fuel pump relay is 'Inactive' but I can toggle it active (and hear it come on) with the output tests.

Tomorrow, if it still doesn't start I'll check for a spark (thanks MrC) and if there isn't are we looking at it being immobilised (I'm thinking that because if it was a fault it would also cause the engine to cut out and so far it hasn't).

Looking though the BCM list it does say:

Immobiliser Status: Inactive

So I'm assuming that means it's not 'immobilised'?

All the stuff to do with keys / security seems to suggest it's all ok?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Just for the s&g's, these are the outputs for the BCM and ECU.

Ignition off, engine won't start:

Measuring blocks information:

BCM-Variant,CDL Battery Voltage,12.3 V Ter. 15 - Switched Battery Voltage (Terminal 15),On 12V Ter. 15A - Switched Battery Voltage (Terminal 15A),On Ter. W - Switched Battery Voltage (Terminal W),On Ter. 50 - Switched Battery Voltage (Terminal 50),Off Alternator Load Signal,Inactive Security Code,Programmed Security Wait Time,Inactive Park Light Right,Off Park Light Left,Off Low Beam,Inactive High Beam,Inactive Left Turn Signal,Off Right Turn Signal,Off Fog Lamps Front,Off Fog Lamps Rear,Off Wash Headlamps Status,Off Front Wiper Status,Off Rear Wiper Status,Off Heatable Rear Window,Inactive Horn,Off Relay Comfort Closing,Off Relay Unlock,Off Relay Lock Driver Door,Off Relay Lock Passenger Door,Off Relay Deadlock,Off ABS Input Signal,0.60 V Status Brake Fluid Level/Parking Brake,Active EPS Status,Active Parking Light Status,Off Low Beam Switch Status,Off High Beam Signal Voltage,0.97 V Turn Signal Input,0.97 V Hazard Switch Status,Inactive Reverse Gear Status,Inactive Fog Lights Front Switch Status,Off Fog Lights Rear Switch Status,Off Front Wiper Switch Signal,0.39 V Wipe/Wash Switch Front/Rear,0.39 V Rain Sensor 1 Signal,Inactive Rain Sensor 2 Signal,Inactive Horn Signal,Inactive Tank Sensor,5.4 V Instrument Dimming Input,13 % Switch Interior Lamp,Off Status Driver Door,Door Closed Status Front Passenger Door,Door Closed Status Trunk,Closed A/C Switch (Air Conditioning),Off Headlamp Levelling Device Status,Inactive Driver Seat Belt Status,Buckled Oil Pressure Lamp,Off SVS Lamp (Service Vehicle Soon),Off ABS Telltale,Off Traction Control Telltale,Off EPS Telltale,On Glow Time Telltale,Off Sport Program Indicator,Off Winter Program Indicator,Off Seat Belt Telltale,Off Charging Control Telltale,On Brake Telltale,Off Engine Speed,0 RPM Wheel Speed,0 RPM Coolant Temperature,-40 °C Intake Air Temperature,-40 °C Actual Gear,Manual Transmission Rear Window Heater Status,Inactive Cruise Control Signal,0.53 V Cruise Control,Inactive Key Cylinder Lock Signal,0.83 V Key Cylinder Unlock Signal,0.83 V Doorknob Lock,Inactive Doorknob Unlock,Active Remote Control Signal,Not Present Remote Key Battery Status,Okay Remote Key Status,Open Remote-Key 1 Status,Programmed Remote-Key 2 Status,Programmed Remote-Key 3 Status,Not Programmed Remote-Key 4 Status,Not Programmed Remote-Key 5 Status,Not Programmed Immobiliser Status,Inactive Glass Break Sensor 1,Inactive Glass Break Sensor 2,Inactive Trunk Status,Locked Engine Hood Status,Locked Turn Signal,0.00 a Dimmer Level,0 % Interior Light Dimming,100 % CDLS-Motor Current (Central Door Locking System),8.58 a CDLS Overload Protection,Idle Accident Sensor,Inactive Transversal Inclination Sensor,Inactive Longitudinal Inclination Sensor,Active Alarm Status,- - - Vehicle Doors,Monitored Engine Hood,Monitored Trunk,Monitored Immobiliser,Monitored Ultrasound,Monitored Inclinat. Sensor,Monitored Pane Breakage Sensor,Monitored Glas Break Sensor 2,Monitored Sliding Door,Monitored Status Sliding Door,Door Closed Alarm Siren,Monitored Powersounder Communication Status,Okay Ultra Sonic Module Communication Status,Not Okay Horn Relay Anti Theft Warning System,Inactive U/S Status (Ultrasound),Disarmed Security Code,Programmed Security Code Status,Locked Remaining Security-Code Inputs,10 Security Code Time Out,Inactive

Selected model>,2004 (4),Meriva,Engine,Z 16 SE

Control Unit:

Keyword #1: EF Keyword #2: 8F

Normal timing parameter set.

Measuring blocks information:

Battery Voltage,12.6 V Main Relay,Active Fuel Pump Relay,Inactive APP Sensor 1 (Accelerator Pedal Position),0.96 V APP Sensor 2 (Accelerator Pedal Position),0.47 V Calculated Pedal Position,0 % APP at Idle Position (Accelerator Pedal Position),Active TP Sensor 1 (Throttle Position),0.90 V TP Sensor 2 (Throttle Position),4.10 V Calculated Throttle Position,15 % Throttle Position,Idle Engine Speed,0 RPM MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure),4.85 V MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure),102 kPa Coolant Temperature,2.18 V Coolant Temperature,15 °C Intake Air Temperature,4.10 V Intake Air Temperature,11 °C Tank Sensor,5.44 V Tank Sensor,12 L Oil Pressure,Underpressure A/C Information Switch (Air Conditioning),Inactive A/C Pressure (Air Conditioning),0.6 V A/C Pressure (Air Conditioning),380 kPa Brake Switch 1,Inactive Brake Switch 2,Inactive Clutch Switch,Not Programmed Vehicle Speed,0 km/h Cruise Control Tip Switch,Not Programmed Cruise Control,Not Programmed Vehicle Speed in Cruise Control Range,Not Programmed EGR Valve (Exhaust-Gas Recirculation),Inactive EGR Position Command (Exhaust- Gas Recirculation),0 % EGR Position Feedback (Exhaust Gas Recirculation),5.00 V Fuel Tank Ventilation Valve,0 % Knock Control,Inactive B1S1 O2 Sensor Heater (Bank 1 Sensor 1),Inactive B1S1 O2 Sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 1),473 mV B1S1 Air/Fuel Ratio (Bank 1 Sensor 1),Lean B1S2 O2 Sensor Heater (Bank 1 Sensor 2),Inactive B1S2 O2 Sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 2),451 mV B1S2 Air/Fuel Ratio (Bank 1 Sensor 2),Lean O2 Sensor Loop,Open B1 Long Term Fuel Trim (Bank 1),6 B1 Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 1),0 A/C Cutoff Mode (Air Conditioning),System OK A/C Relay (Air Conditioning),Inactive Fan Relay 1,Inactive Fan Relay 2,Inactive Fan Relay 3,Inactive Malfunction Indicator (MI),On Service Vehicle Soon (SVS) Indicator,Blinking Oil Level,Normal Engine Oil Level Status,Okay Engine Speed,0 RPM Desired Idle Speed,1.487 RPM Idle Speed Offset,Cold Start Ignition Dwell Angle,2.9 ms Injector Time,0.0 ms Ignition Spark Angle,6.7 °CA Knock Retard Cylinder 1,5 °CA Knock Retard Cylinder 2,5 °CA Knock Retard Cylinder 3,1 °CA Knock Retard Cylinder 4,4 °CA Ignition Status,On 12V ETC Limp Home Mode (Electronic Throttle Control),Reduced Power Total Misfire,0 Dec. Fuel Cutoff (Deceleration),Active Fuel Tank Ventilation Valve,Inactive Immobiliser Function Programmed,- - - Security Wait Time,- - - BCM: Vehicle-ID is programmed (Body Control Module),- - - Instrument: Vehicle-ID is programmed,- - - BCM: Status of Vehicle-ID (Body Control Module),- - - Instrument: Status of Vehicle-ID,- - -

Reply to
T i m

The fuel pump comes on for one or two seconds when the ign. is first turned on, as soon as the engine is turning (on the starter) the fuel pump runs again. A simple fuel pressure test will show if all is well there. Fuel can also be simulated with a tin of easy start sprayed in the intake.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That's what I thought it might be but couldn't hear it when trying to start it tonight in it's 'ain't gonna' state.

Understood (there was no sign of activity of the Fuel Relay on the OBD reader at the time either).

Well I can confirm the pump runs normally (the car drives fine) and I can hear it fire up on the OBD 'Output tests' (they are kinda cool, making things happen remotely as such).

Funnily enough, I actually mentioned the idea of that to the Mrs this very evening (following on from your other suggestions of spark tests etc. So, now I see I have individual plugs (rather than a coil pack all_on_one thing) and so I can get an old fashioned strobe trigger around the HT leads, would that be sufficient to show we were getting a spark (potentially (excuse the pun))? Save me pulling a cap and finding a plug and if I lock the trigger on, could see it as I spin it over from the inside?

Cheers and thanks very much for your patience. This is our main car (was Dads till he died a couple of years ago) and until this issue (and an aircon leak) has been faultless.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If I wanted to take the ECU off (I'm wondering if there might be anything one could see inside, assuming it wasn't potted somehow), how do you release the connectors please as I don't want to force anything. (I've released the arm as such, just not levered it up much).

T i m

using a strobe light would do just fine, ecu's are full of potting gunk, I have no idea about removing it, but be careful with the plug as it is easy to bend the pins

Reply to
Mrcheerful