temp guage (gage) dead

Temp guage was acting funny. For awhilw it would read normal at running temp then it would read "zero" or stone cold. Periodically back to normal then fluctuating back to resting position. Now it's seems totally dead.

Replaced sending unit, no change. Once in a blue moon it will read normal but less than 5% of the time.

Fluid is topped up. Doesn't seem characteristic of a bad thermostat. What gives?

Reply to
cK

On the '62 Chev, the temperature gauge system is quite simple.... not a '62 Chevy?? Then I guess we need some more info. I will apologize in advance for my brashness... Systems have changed greatly since the birth of the Explorer..... the birthday of yours may mean a difference in diagnostic procedure.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Sorry I forgot to mention it's a '95.

Reply to
cK

That's interesting. I have a 95 Explorer doing the exact same thing.

I'm convinced that it's an intermittent short or loose connection somewhere. The gauge is constantly jumping up and down from zero to normal. When it goes down to zero, my check gauge light comes on.

Reply to
dbrock69