Torque Converter Installation

I replaced the TC in my 93 XLT. After bolting up the trans with new TC I found that the crank would not turn. I removed the trans and played around with the TC and it moved back another 1/4" farther into the bell housing.

Is there a measurement I can make to determine if the TC is in the proper position relative to the front of the bell housing? I looked in the Haynes manual and didn't see any specs.

Is it possible that I damaged the TC or the trans?

TIA, Paul

Reply to
Paul Earl

There are tangs and notches on the pump and torque convertor that have to engage each other. I've seen bellhousing flanges broken, pumps fractured and TC's that had to have the nose dressed because the installer didn't have them engaged properly. There is no measurement that I know of, but you can easily "feel" it slide into place by turning the TC until it meshes with the pump. It is possible that you damaged the pump, but it's more likely that you didn't, IMO.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower