Turns Over, No Start -- (EGR) Code 327 and 332 94 Explorer 2WD XLT

My 94 Ford Explorer 2WD XLT V6 won't start.

The engine codes are:

Code 327c - EGR valve position circuit below minimum voltage

Code 332c - Insufficient EGR flow detected

The engine turns over just fine, but will not start.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Adams

A follow up to this I should add the following.

On a few ocassions if I started to start the vehicle and interrupted the start cycle (before ignition began) the vehicle would not start for many hours. I do not if it is related, just thought I would add that afterthought.

JA

Reply to
J Adams

Got spark ???????

Got fuel ??????

Reply to
Ollie

Yeah, I wouldn't think the EGR would keep it from starting- might run rough, but it ought to at least fire.

The typical cause is the fuel pump relay in the black plastic box under the hood on the passenger side. It's labeled. Swap it with the A/C relay.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Just tried that it didn't work. Same symptoms, turns over and no start.

Good to know about the relay though.

Thanks

Reply to
J Adams

OK, like the other guy said, check for spark- you can pull off a wire, hold it near ground while someone cranks it a few seconds, see if you have ignition.

You can check for fuel at the injection rail- there is a schraeder valve, like on a tire, where you can connect a fuel pressure gauge.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Reply to
kc10

Pulled a plug from No5 cylinder and no spark.

Replaced plug wires (found a cracked one) and replaced the EGR solenoid - it was bad.

Could smell gas (faint) from cylinder where plug was pulled. I found the schrader valve (?) - pass side of throttle body, at least I think that's what it is.

No loose vaccum hoses.

Reply to
J Adams

Good to know..................

But did it fix it ?????????????

Other plugs sparking ok ????????

Did you had fuel pressure @ that valve ????????

Do you hear the fuelpump buzz for a couple seconds when you turn ignition on ?????????

Do you have gas for sure ????????

How fast does it crank ? battery still good ????????

Under about 9 volts engine will crank slow but most likely wont start.....

Try starter fluid or t-body cleaner and squirt some in the intake/t-body, if it's trying to run it probably is nt getting any fuel

Reply to
Ollie

OK, if you don't have spark none of that other stuff matters, it ain't gonna start or even fire. I think there is a relay for the ignition system, it's with the fuel pump relay. You might swap that with another of the same part number. That's the only easy thing I can think of to try.

If it's not that, maybe someone has a troubleshooting procedure for the ignition system. You'll need to go step by step to find the origin of the problem. I know that the crank position sensor has caused a lot of people trouble...

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

I had a similar problem on my '97(same engine as yours)--would crank but no spark. I removed and cleaned the crankshaft position sensor and replaced the battery and it's been fine ever since. I think the problem was the battery--enough voltage to turn the engine but not enough to get it to spark.

Reply to
Ulysses