$2.5k spent and still problems with engine... HELP!

I must have the worst luck! I spent about $2.5k on my pos ford mustang '95 v6. First head gasket blew, I had engine rebilt so I tought my problems are over. Not for long... next day I get the car back and on the way to work I have to move slowly in the traffic, my car stalls! won't start.. I tow it home and it starts like nothing happened. This happens almost every time I pass that stretch of the road!?!?! Went to garage to have the car checked out they say nothing is wrong. I already replaced IAC, spark plugs/wires, EGR, camshaft position sensor, fuel filter... fuel pump, alternator and battery checked out and they are fine. Car runs but not at

100%. This is what still happens... when radiator fan turns on voltage needle dips quite a bit and rpm drops to rough 500 idle speed for about 3 sec, also when I break idle drops to 500 making engine run rough. Im at the point of thinking of selling this piece of crap Ford if I won't be able to fix it. Please guys give me some suggestions on what else I could check/fix.

Thanks so much for your time.

Reply to
turbolover

Hows the battery / alt? the computer is sensitive to voltage problems. I found that out on my '97 GT when the battery blew a cell.

Reply to
Brent P
** Went to garage to have the car ** checked out they say nothing is wrong. I already replaced IAC, spark ** plugs/wires, EGR, camshaft position sensor, fuel filter... fuel pump, ** alternator and battery checked out and they are fine.

Just replacing parts you think may be faulty won't fix your problem. It sounds like you need a better mechanic to me. Has anyone bothered to check the computer for error codes? What did the 'garage' say about this? Perhaps it is time to head for a decent Ford dealership service center to get an expert's opinion.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Maybe you should connect a voltmeter across the battery. Make sure you have it connected to the battery terminals. Measure voltage before you start the car. Typically a good battery will be around 12.5 volts DC or better. Start the car while watching battery voltage. The voltage will dip slightly while cranking the car. If it drops significantly, you probably have a battery problem. When the car is running, the measured voltage should be around 14.5 - 14.7 volts DC. If this is true, then your alternator and charging system are working properly. Allow the engine to heat up while watching the voltage meter. What does voltage do when the radiator cooling fan kicks on? There may be a few tenths of a volt change, but there should be no significant change in observed voltage.

Reply to
Jimz466

I had alternator checked out and is fine, my battery is almost new. I measured voltage of battery and it seemed fine. Voltage needle dips quite a bit but still stays in normal area. I'm thinking it might be something do to with emissions because I tried disconnecting rad fan and rpm still drops when I stop or put it in D from Park.

Any other ideas?

Reply to
turbolover

I had alternator checked out and is fine, my battery is almost new. I measured voltage of battery and it seemed fine. Voltage needle dips quite a bit but still stays in normal area. I'm thinking it might be something do to with emissions because I tried disconnecting rad fan and rpm still drops when I stop or put it in D from Park.

Any other ideas?

Reply to
turbolover

EVERY auto trans car I've ever seen will drop RPM when going from Park to Drive. You're engaging the transmission. How much it drops is another story. RPMs dropping (more than normal) when you brake or come to a stop could be indicative of transmission problems. Whether the battery voltage meter on the dashboard stays in the "normal" zone or not is pretty much irrelevent. You may need to get actual voltage numbers using a good meter. If you don't have the tools for troubleshooting/repairing it, do yourself a favor and just take it to a good dealership. Otherwise you're going to end up wasting your time and others time trying to help you troubleshoot when you're having difficulty even providing accurate symptoms.

Reply to
Jimz466