wiper blade adjustment?

My 96 XLT suffers from mis-aligned wiper arms. Since the arms are keyed at the bolt, the adjustment cannot be made external. Does someone have a
method for adjusting this under the hook? Currently, my right wiper is too low, the left wiper is too high.
thank you!
Unless I'm mistaken, those wiper arms are snapped onto a splined shaft, an idea of Ford's and Chrysler's that I wish other manufacturers would use. My '99 was the same as your '96, I think.
Anyway, grab the wiper arm, pull it away from the windshield as if you were going to clean under it, so that it stands away from the windshield by itself, and pull out and hold the tiny tab at the base of the arm pivot. You should be able to slide it off the splined shaft. You can then reposition the arm anywhere you want.
HTH...

They must be different on the 99. My 96 has a keyed slot which the wiper arm snaps into. When I pull the tab and pull the blade, it goes on and off only one way. I was thinking there was an adjustment to the linkage under the hood. I've not checked, but last time I peeked, it looked very difficult to access.
michael

Wow. Every Ford or Chrysler I've had since the 80s had a splined shaft for every wiper, front or back. My '97 Ranger, '99 Explorer, '02 Explorer, and even '89 Mustang. Even my '86 and '93 Daytonas and '97 Stratus were splined.
Anyway, Jim Warman would probably be able to answer this one better.
Splined, yes. However, my '97 has a "bump" on each that locates the arm in one position only.

Too cold to fetch the laptop...... with the windchill we're currently -64ishF so I'm sure you'll forgive 8^). I recall an index spline and no adjustment on the trunnions..... the fix may require a new wiper "transmission". Lifting the wiper arm slightly off the windshield and moving it gently through as much arc as you can without applying more than a couple of pounds pressure may reveal any wear in the linkage or worn trunnions.
I'll try to remember to check the books and post if I see any discrepancies...

for
and
Why did Ford put a key on the shaft for what seems like just that year? Haven't they almost always used a splined shaft for both front and rear wipers?
The engineering thinking goes something like - anything that can be adjusted will often be adjusted wrong, so design it so that no adjustments are necessary.
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:59:16 -0500, "JonnyCab"