How to get the wiper arms off their splines?

How to get the wiper arms off their splines? I've undone the nuts, but the buggers are refusing to budge. I've pulled as hard as I can, and there's nowhere really to lever against. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I've stuck the nut on loosely and hit the top of the spline. Still won't budge. Fiat bloody Punto (2002).

Reply to
GB

The best way is a puller.

TTT

lift the arm away from he screen and waggle it sideways, always works.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

forgot to say: leave the nut on the threads, just a couple of turns, then when it releases you don't suddenly have a wiper arm flapping in the air and damaging paintwork (been there and done that)

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Care to come and try it on my Focus? :-)

I've always had success doing exactly what you say in the past, but this bugger's not going to come off. It's positioned slightly too high, but I'm living with it.

I bought a purpose-made wiper arm extractor; it bent. I used a little three-legged puller, but if I tightened it any more, it would have broken. I left it on all night in the hope that the wiper fairies would help, but no luck.

The only option would be to hacksaw a lump off it I reckon, and as it's not actually broken, I've given up.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Don't get angry but.... I know you will have soaked it in penetrating oil etc.

Reply to
Gordon H
[...]

Yep; I made a little "pond" with aluminium foil and Bluetak, and left it overnight. Still won't budge.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yep! :-)

Reply to
GB

I have not come across one that would not respond before, but there is always an exception etc. In your case I would drill a small hole parallel to the centre line of the spindle or parallell to the taper (whichever seemed easy) Which should relieve some of the squeeze and try again, or heat it up by gripping it with red hot mole grips.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Lift the arm up, plrise the hub from the spline with a flat scredriver, waggling it either side until it is free. Any moron can do it.

McK.

Reply to
McKevvy
[...]

Wish I was a moron then...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In article , Chris Whelan writes

Bit of heat? (careful of the screen!)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

There's a puller available from Machine Mart and others.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

...and the plastic panel the spindle sticks through...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've prised mine off in the past with an open ended spanner (or 2) and a bit of wiggling !

Graham

Reply to
Graham 2

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember McKevvy saying something like:

On Shite Old Snotters, yes. Fings are different on modern crap - made to break.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The puller I bought *just about* did both front arms on my fabia, but was broken by the time I finished.

Reply to
Chris Bartram