1984 F-150 lower kingpin

Can anyone tell me anything about replacing a lower king pin in the old Ibeam suspension, two wheel drive.

Reply to
ecinc

Go to a library and find a manual that covers it. Should not be hard to find one. There are other parts in that front end that go bad. You may want to take it somewhere and get a detailed estimate on what needs to be repaired. Then decide what you are willing to do. They are not hard to figure out, but it's heavy work.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

It's easy to get yourself into a "real state". Factory bushings are metal..... one of the bushings and the pin can "marry", the axle eye and pin can "marry" or any combination of parts can marry. Without some previous mentoring, it becomes easy to mushroom the end of a pin and make a hard task worse.

As Al suggests, familiarize yourself with the task first....

If you decide to continue.... support the axles solidly - VERY solidly, as close to the kingpin eye as possible to reduce flex during "coercion". If you do not have access to a set of kingpin reamers (very spendy and getting hard to find in the wild), insist on a set of replacement pins with plastic bushings.

While this task appears simple at the outset (and, if it goes smoothly, it is extremely simple), it is just chock full of gotchas installed courtesy of mother nature.

I went many years without doing a single kingpin but, in the last year, I have done two sets.... I was the only tech in our shop that had ever done kingpins before. The first set in this batch, I inherited from a profusely sweating, extremely frustrated 30ish tech.... more than thankful for my offer...

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman