1990 Aerostar turnsignal problems

one night my turn signals stopped working. the fuse was blown. i replace it and it blew again immediately. next day I replace and checked out all turn signal and indicator lights. didn't work. i replaced the turn signal switch. it didn't work. i replaced the ignition switch. it didn't work. the funny thing is sometimes i can get up in the morning. change the fuse, it doesn't blow and the turn signals work perfect with the switch on, sometimes even with the engine running. but as soon as I put it in reverse the fuse blows and it will then blow the fuse even if I turn the engine off and it's in park. I'm going bankrupt on fuses. the brake lights work great, as does the running light. only the turn signals and the back up lights don't work. I also tried disconnecting the back up light switch on the side of the transmission in case it was shorting out the wires but it did not work. the turnsignal fuse keeps blowing. can anyone help.

Reply to
johncuneo

Use an ammeter to determine which part of the circuit is drawing excessive current or rig up a headlamp type test probe is probably the only way to logically repair it. The actual problem could be water in a lens, abraded insulation, pinched wires, trailer harness dragging on the ground (or misinstalled) etc. etc.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Kitterman

Reply to
johncuneo

I'm thinking it's a pinched wire. but sometimes when it's just sitting there and I change the fuse they will work, all of the turn signals will work untill i start the engine then about 2 seconds later the fuse will blow even if the turn signals are not on. somewhere between the fuse and the lights there must be a short. but how do I find it and where do I start? how can I narrow down my search? thanks for all info.

Reply to
johncuneo

"as soon as I put it in reverse the fuse blows "....... is there a problem here????

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Can't say for sure but (and this depends on the veracity of the given info), shifting to reverse appears to be a a hinge pin.

I can only hope that common sense becomes common.

Reply to
Jim Warman