The problem is you dont give enough information to make a good guess.
1. Does it start and idle normally (without 'racing')cold.. without
touching the accelerator?
2. Does it do this immediately or only after you've driven a few blocks..
or after longer than that?
3. What if you put it in neutral while at a stop... does it do the same?
4. Are there ANY other problems or annoyances? Is the Check Engine light
While you're thinking about this, Are you good enough with cars/tools to
replace a few items on the engine, yourself?
Also with the car warmed, disconnect the Mass Air Fuel sensor electrical
connector and see if the car starts okay and runs better on a spin around
a few blocks. -Never use 'disconnect MAF' as a fix. May leave you or
- If it does, clean the MAF according to directions found by googling
- If it wont start or runs worse, replace the Throttle Position Sensor
(likely suspect and it's a wear item)
From: firstname.lastname@example.org (TOMKAY)
My 1993 Crown Vic runs just fine as long as I am moving down the road,
but when I am stopped at a red light the motor starts surging and idling
rough, and the engine goes dead. Can anybody tell me what could be
i'm taking a shot in the dark on this, but i bet if you go to the
passenger's side of the engine and listen, you will hear an air leak
coming from the back of the engine. you will find the problem with the
rubber "T" coupling at the rear of the engine. it will probably have a
hole in it. and you will find follow that line to the driver's side,
you will find that the rubber tubing connector has collapsed too.
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
"Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is
invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.