1993 Ford Taurus Battery Light

Hi,

Just hoping someone could help me out here.

I have a 93 Ford Taurus with about 103,000 miles on it. The battery light just started to come on, but only when I'm hitting the gas pedal. If I'm standing still, it goes off. Could this just be a weak battery or could it be indicative of something else?

Also, I'm not that car knoweldgable, so I'm not able to personally check voltage and those types of things. I can, however, change a battery if that's all it is.

Thanks! J.G.

Reply to
J.G.

change the alt

hurc ast

Reply to
fred

Before you jump in and replace the alternator, I'd check the tensioner/belt for problems. I've seen it where the tensioner can loosen when accelerating.

Hope that helps,

Kenn

Reply to
Kenn

J.G. opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Either belt is slipping .. OR..

Though it seems a little early, unless you do a lot of city driving, this is often an indicator of worn out brushes.

I posted a tip on refurbing an alternator a while back and this would have helped you avoid this.

So now, go to salvage and pick one up for about 60 bucks, and order a brush set for it from NAPA

See the repost below

If you havent changed a belt before, i suggest you find someone who has.

If this is a 3.0, (dunno about 3.8) remember that the tensioner pivot bolt has to be loosened.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

how his alt would still wear out?

hey hack havent seen ya in a while hope your not ill

hurc ast

Reply to
fred

My 3.0 liter 97 Taurus was doing this at one point. started at first only under very heavy load (foot-to-the-floor passing, high rpms), then gradually got worse. It was the belt tensioner letting the belt slip. I'd look at that first. I don't know how long ford alts last, but mine has about 120,000 miles and is running like a champ.

Reply to
Teknical

161k on my '94 3.0, still charging OK. Belt tensioner is frozen on this guy's car. I pulled mine off, freed and lubed it, back on and fine for the last 10k miles. Found it doing a routine belt change, never had an indication it was froze up and not adjusting. Not even a squeal or jerk in the power steering. Yeah I should have replaced it but I'm going for max. miles / dollar cost as at this point the car's lived a good life.
Reply to
Repairman

Mine grenaded on my wife's 93. The bearing flew apart, then the bolt came out and went through the washer tank.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz