1994 escort 1.9 ...at wits end

I drove the car 1/4 mile to the store and when I tried to restart it was popping and banging something fierce and would not start. Thought I had somehow blown a head gasket but the car wasn't hot or even warmed up. It had just recently started to stall at hiway speed so I figured it was the coil pack. After replaceing , same problem. The car will start but is banging loadly from the top end and barely starts. Sounds as if the timing is way off. I tore it down thinking the timing belt had jumped time. The timing marks are dead on and the belt in great shape ( I had it replaced several years ago and its our 3rd car and gets driven seldom). After checking the lifters ( all are free and not sticking) and I have oil flow. The plugs look fine and are new , as are the wires. The check engine light has never come on and the koeo test comes up clear. There is no oil in the coolant system nor water in the oil. I have spark and compression on all cylinders. Bypassed the egr valve to no avail. Have fuel on the plugs. Am thinking electrical ( sensor) because the car ran fine to the store and went crazy when trying to restart. Am going to run sensor checks today via Haynes manual but if anyone has had a similar problem would love any feed back ( I spent several hours this AM reading posts to this group and picked up some great tips but nothing exactly the same as my situation) sanders

Reply to
lakehousesanders

Do you smell gas on startup or on the hiway? Just a wild ass guess, check airflow maybe there is a restriction somewhere, or just the opposite, too much air. Make sure the 2" hose feeding your throttle body is not cracked, a large enough crack will stall you out for sure. For that I've used duct tape in the past for a temporary measure to get to the parts counter. Not sure if you have a MAF or VAM, perhaps check that and the IAC? Good luck.

Reply to
sleepdog