1994 ford crown victoria oil pan

Just found out my oil pan on this otherwise nice running car is rusting thru, and leaking. Is this the nasty job that it looks like? Oil pans are cheap on ebay, but I wonder if this is the end for this car- any ideas are appreciated. thanx, ignatz

-- Message posted using

information at

ignatz

Front engine rear wheel drive, should be a piece of cake - As long as they didn't do something really brain-dead stupid like put a cross-member or a steering rack right smack in the way.

And if they did, that's an excuse to let a mechanic with a lift handle it, and if you shag all the parts it shouldn't cost that much.

At least you can get a new pan - my 1941 generator I had to weld up the rust pits in the old one myself. Be sure to give the new pan another coat of paint before you install it, obviously the factory paint leaves a little to be desired...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

All depends on your definition of "nasty"...

MasterBlaster

i'd say that was pretty nasty. they don't make cars like they used to, that's for sure

Reply to
Dan Wright

You are quite right... now-a-days they last much longer than they used to... They run better with less service... and they pollute a lot less than the older engines without any increase in fuel consumption

One guy has a rusted oil pan... we don't know anything else about his car other than the oil pan is rusted....There are a lot of 94s out there that don't feature rusted oil pans...

You are quite right... now-a-days they last much longer than they used to... They run better with less service... and they pollute a lot less than the older engines without any increase in fuel consumption

One guy has a rusted oil pan... we don't know anything else about his car other than the oil pan is rusted....There are a lot of 94s out there that don't feature rusted oil pans...

The top posting police can go f*ck themselves... gently, if they wish.

Reply to
Jim Warman

There are a LOT of rusted through oil pans out there, A lot more than there used to be. Part of it is cars are lasting longer. When I was a young fellow a six year old car was an old car. In most cases the body was getting pretty poor. Today a six year old car is a viable choice. I buy one about every 10 years or so. And the body is still presentable when I get rid of it

10-12 years later. Things that never had a chance to go wrong years back are starting to show up.

Add to that the FACT they are making things lighter today to get better fuel mileage, and the fact that sometimes material quality is a relative unknown (everything is outsources to the lowest cost) and we will see more of this in the future.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Damn your hide... a centre poster!!!! the scum of the scum.... You don't top post and you don't bottom post... I wonder what "netiquette" has to say about this sort of questionable activity....

But, you are quite right... things are now "purpose built". The engineers have decided what the "design loads" are... Exceed these - there you be....

As an old fart, I am quite pleased with the dependability of my current "fleet". While some of the young'uns might find fault with the current crop of vehicles.... with a little care and attention, these are much better than the cars everyone seems to think were faultless.....

Now... where was this message posted?

Reply to
Jim Warman

You know why they don't send donkeys to school???? 'Cause nobody likes a smart ass.

Can't even tell who the center poster you are repling to is.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Since I keep cars long term, I've had to have rusted oil pans replaced on 3 FoMoCos so far.....not uncommon.....nothing I would try to do myself.....and far from cheap.

New/Old.....Better/Worse......no one has mentioned one cause: the old engines used to leak so damn much oil, they couldn't rust!

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Ford engines STILL leak so much it's a wonder they can rust!

** Posted from
**