1995 Ford Explorer Fuel Pump Control

Yea they are. The hall device is nothing more than the typical hall device material, it can be a thin sheet of metal or a simiconductive material with three or four wires attached ( depending on application ) to it no resisters, no capacitors nothing. Some hall devices do have there own amplifers, this one does not. The TFI module does that. With out a magnetic field it does nothing. It is no more complicated than a resistor, your would not call a resistor complicated would you?

The TFI is a solid state circuit, but is as dumb as rocks. In it is an amplifier and pass through circuit for PIP ( the signal the hall makes which is very weak ) and a transistor and it's supporting circuits to ground the coil. It has no logic chip, and can not make decisions it is dumb.

The hall effect device does not work by means of positive feed back period.

On a different type of device, lets say a transistor? yea, but not a hall device. It does not work that way.

Read his second post.......again I'll cut and paste it again.

"Thanks Jim, I suspected that was the case since I didn't see a pressure input in the Chilton wiring diagrams and one of the three dealers also said it was a timed even as well. Now to the problem, on ocassion the engine won't start and I've noticed during those times the fuel pump runs continuous in key on position. After cycling the switch several times and I hear the pump stop then I can start the engine. Otherwise I can let the pump run 2-4 minutes and try repeated cranking without the engine starting. It appears the PCM is not completing its start sequence. Is there other test I can perform or should I consider the PCM history. I will add during the on/off switching the voltage is stable to the PCM and other indicator lights on the dash appear normal while in this continuous pump on mode. thanks again"

"Now to the problem, on ocassion the engine won't start and I've noticed during those times the fuel pump runs continuous in key on position."

The mention of running down the battery was as in your case an assumption.

No it does not. The driver may just may have failed or is failing. He may have other problems. You are assuming on false reasoning.

If that's how you check a transistor, so be it.

I didnt say the PCM IS not at fault, I even made several post saying it could be, I just wanted him to know for sure which is it the relay or PCM. I also stated it could be other problems.

I dont work for Ford or at a Ford dealereship.

Reply to
Fred Miller

I figured you'd do that.

A hall device is nothing more than a piece of thin metal or semiconducting material ( conductor ) It has an electric current applied to it. With a magnetic field around it electric charge tends to be pushed to the side of the conductor and is measurable. The hall effect discovered in 1879. An over simplification but that is it in a nut shell. I'll assume you are familiar with how the hall device or pick up if you want to call it; in the ford distributor looks like? Where is the magnet? What is it attached to? You will notice the magnet field is either all ways around the conductor or is shunted away depending on weather a window or vane is between the magnet and conductor.On this device the distance of the magnet never changes so the field never changes. The supply voltage never changes. The output is dependent of the magnetic field supply voltage and conductor. The conductor has no supporting parts like transistor, capacitors so there is no chance of some kind of "feed back". It's just a thin piece of metal or silicone material. That being said there is nothing that will change the out-put but the rotating vane wheel.

Now I'll assume you want support to those statement?

Thats as far as I'll go, wnat to lean more, do your own reasearch. That little tid-bit in your Ford lessions will not cut it.

Reply to
Fred Miller

quote from that article:

Hall effect devices produce a very low signal level. To apply this requires amplification. While suitable for laboratory instruments, the vacuum tube amplifiers available in the first half of the 20th century were too expensive, power consuming, and unreliable for everyday applications. It was only with the development of the low cost integrated circuit that the Hall effect sensor became suitable for mass application. Many devices now sold as "Hall effect sensors" are in fact a device containing both the sensor described above and a high gain integrated circuit (IC) amplifier in a single package /quote

Man... I thought I was arrogant!

But I know my electronics, chump!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Who said you did or did not. You did argue though the hall device is more than it is. Sp Krusty, if you know so much about electronics whay do you make such an argument?

Reply to
Fred Miller

And It IS more than you say it is!

Let's make this perfectly clear!

The Hall Effect theory is a given, we can take the presence of gaussian elements used with them, and the magnetic properties therein, for granted, assuming they are properly positioned... quit dissembling!

The Hall devices used in automotives contain solid state thin-film processing circuits consisting of a number of transistors and associated components.

Yes or NO!

Dont give me theory, dont give me anything but yes, or no!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote in message news:Xns9752655DF8B14pettyfogery@207.115.17.102...

Let's put the ball in your corner, prove it is.

You have too. Look at how the damn thing is made. Then think with your brain instead of emotion. Bob states that this device created a roughly a 900 rpm signal yes? Lets explore that first. This hall device is a metal strip, not any type of micro circuit it's just a dumb piece of metal with three wires attached. The magnetic field is made by a permanent magnet that is attached to the hall sensor via a very stout piece of formed steel making both the sensor and magnet always in alignment. That alignment can not be changed unless there is massive damage to the distributor. He made no mention of damage, if fact he said he just replaced the "pick up", not the whole distributor. If you are even remotely familiar with Fords "pick up" you know what I'm talking about. So this is not theory it is fact, just as I spelled out to Bob the magnetic field can not change. The supply voltage can not change. As I told you; and Bob if he goes back to basic training on the TFi ignition system it is clearly spelled out that the TFI module is the amplifier for the hall voltage. This hall device is a dumb device, NO CIRCUITRY involved. Now he claims to have seen with the key on and the engine not running a pip signal of about 900 RPM. How did he determine 900 RPM. I'll bet he will say that on the SBDS display on the PIP line it said 900 rpm. Fair assumption? I would say yes. Why? if the so called RPM was not displayed he would have to do math and actually count each square wave. Why? How is a "defective part" with a "failure" like this going to give a constant enough pattern for a processor that only counts 1 very small part of the square wave? Do you know what part the is? It's called cylinder one identification. Do I need to explain what the PIP signal looks like and what #1 ID looks like? I'll assume your emotions are in check enough to say no. So we have a device with no outward signs of damage, so the magnetic field has not and is not changing. Supply voltage is constant. The conductor is just a thin metal strip. There is no amplifier in the device it self, well documented via Ford. How is it possible for this device to create a signal that is good enough for a computer to look at it as a good enough signal to fire injectors ( which Bob said did happen ) and looks like a normal square wave on a display? Lets say the wire that picks up the hall voltage has a poor contact. Ok, lets explore that possibility. The magnetic field on this device is arranged so that when the field is shunted the hall voltage is high. So, distributor has to have stopped in such a position so that a vane is between the hall sensor and magnet. Now that contact will have to vibrate or go open closed 3240000 per second. Damn tall order. Next what would that look like on a scope? Will it be a nice square like a normal square wave would look like? No. Because this is a mechanical connection there will be trailing voltage, go back to points, why did electronics replace points? Electronic on and off is damn near instant, a mechanical on and of is not and is VERY visible on ANY scope, including SBDS. Now; The engine processor and SBDS will only calculate RPM by counting the #1 cylinder ID per second, millisecond what ever time frame the software is using. Your telling me that this failure that you want to call "feed back" is going to produce a square wave that is uniform with 1 short wave that is uniform enough to come up with a RPM number? I don't think so. That is as much a stretch as saying a generator will produce voltage when it's rotating parts are not rotating.

As I said before NO period. Prove there are circuits in that device. Don't just insist, prove it. Have you ever dissembled one? Looked at it under a microscope? Been to a training course or electronics seminar on Fords hall device? Seen the schematics? Yes or no!

Reply to
Fred Miller

Cock fight still not over ????????

How do you want prove his dick is bigger then yours

it is a news group, not an university class you are attending

tjesus, get over it

Reply to
JohanB

Reply to
Fred Miller

{REST of bloviating BS removed}

I dont give a shit if it says that 100 times in the Ford manual!

Dumb devices DO NOT NEED POWER

A Hall effect sense element (as opposed to device) produces a miniscule signal that MUST be amplified! You cannot feed a signal like that into a low-impedance circuit Look at the TFI > pickup circuit tests here:

scroll to ICM test

Hall effect tech was not used in cars until circuits could be built on a substrate... which just happened to coincide with use in other circuit production

Now.. if you took a dist and removed the TFI, then applied 5v and COMMON to the power pins, the pip lead would AT LEAST drive an analog meter.

Pretty freaking good for a DUMB device... I'd bet you could barely discern a signal with a 10 megohm scope set to highest amplification if it were just the hall sensor plates in there.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Really? Then why does a relay need power to work? No supply no ground no work. A resister can not drop voltage if there is no voltage and current flow? Dumb devices.

Are you sure, have you done so?

Reply to
Fred Miller

Have you? Are you saying it will NOT drive an analog meter? Bob

Reply to
Bob

I dont HAVE to... my background in electronics, and the expected ohmmeter readings on the ICM test for the pip input, tells me all I need to know.

It's called 'impedance', you can couple a low impedance source to a high impedance input, but doing the opposite will swallow the signal.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If you insist.. substitute 'active' for 'dumb'.

A relay DOES need power, thus is 'active'.. a resistor does not, thus is both dumb and passive component.

A relay is, for all intents, an amplifier in most applications... a resistor's purpose is to reduce amplitude or voltage by means of limiting or shunting current.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I can't believe I read the whole thing! :) I think the "coincidence" is not that at all. The PCM is toast. I would first check the grounds and powers to the PCM since you have a wiring diagram, but I would bet its the PCM. Very strange problem for sure.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Ford PCM's rarely fail but I think you're probably right about this one being toast. Bob

Reply to
Bob