1998 Mercury Sable Brake Cable

I've been changing out the brake pads on my wife's '98 Sable and had to remove the caliper mount on one side to have the rotor reground. I ended up taking the caliper off and stripping it, but now that I'm replacing everything, I can't get the brake cable back on. I've compressed the spring, but when I do, it compresses on the cable and I can't force it back into the bracket.

Is there a trick to this that I'm just not getting?

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I have an 83 mercury grandmarquis... it has drums on the rear, but I do remember it being a real pain to get the cable back onto it's proper place the last time I did rear brakes on it. If I remember right, there is a "stopper" at the end of the cable, to prevent the spring from flying off. I think I ended up putting the cable on the part BEFORE I put the part back onto the car, otherwise it was some strange angle I would have had to bend myself to get it on.

Not sure if this helps any... try using needle nose plyers.

Nic

Reply to
Robotnik

Try slacking the other end of the cable , usually inside the car

Reply to
Daniel

Well, what I'm going to do, since I haven't had a chance to look at it in a couple days, is take the caliper out and try to re-compress the spring that way. At least none of the rest of the brake will be in the way and I might be able to get a better angle on it.

Reply to
Brian Henderson