2000 Lincoln Town Car dies after starting or has a very weak idle

Hi all.

I have a 2000 Lincoln town car that recently started to have an issue of dying immediately after starting. If I apply throttle right after start, it will stay running, but if I lay off the gas it with die more often than go to a weak idle. It runs fine when gas is applied, or if I apply a just a bit of throttle above normal idle position. It doesnt vibrate or misfire at all from what I can tell and highway speeds are just fine. Just after starting or coming to stop does it either idle weak or outright die.

I have changed the fuel filter and sparkplugs as it recently passed

110K miles.

My father in law has equipment to measure gas pressure which I will be doing sometime this weekend, any other ideas of what to look for? What about the idle control valve? I pulled the electrical connection off it when it was at a weak idle and there was no difference. Could it be that part has failed and needs replaced since there was no change when the electricity was pulled off it??

Reply to
MrBigglesworth

The IAC (Idle Air Controller, what you call the idle control valve) would be the first suspect. It's either dead or dirty. Get info on removing it and seeing if it just needs a good cleaning before doing a complete replacement.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Im suspecting that as well as it was mentioned by others in some forums I have visited. Problem is it seems incredibly difficult to get to. Access to the screws seem impossible without taking off the actual throttle body assembly.

Reply to
MrBigglesworth

I'm sure you will find your local Lincoln dealership has the proper tools to do the job.

Reply to
Mike

Was able to get positioned properly to get the IAC valve off. Blew some air intake cleaner in, shook it around, let it dry, reinstalled. Started the car and it felt like a weak idle again, just as before, then 2 seconds later, it had a dramatic increase to normal RPM speeds. So glad!

Reply to
MrBigglesworth