2001 Taurus heater problem

Hi there, I have 2001 Taurus that the heater does not seem to give hot air for some reason. I remember it used to when I first got the car a year and a half ago, but now the heater gives warm air, not completely hot. This is even though the hoses to the heater are hot and the engine is hot and the guage shows the engine tempertaure as being normal. Any ideas how to start chasing the problem? I looked behing the glove box and I couldn't even find the blend door, but that does work somewhat since I can switch between cold and warm. Thanks a lot for your help!

Reply to
Finnick

Look on here:

Your problem is quite common as you can see if you read all the taurus and heater posts on here.. I'm coming to an opinion that the yellow stuff Ford was pushing is the culprit.

Mind that running a garden hose through the core and getting good flow doesnt mean much.

Think about how little you really need to get good flow.

Ret of you... dunno if it would do any good, but getting a really thorough flush and using Gree AF after might be a good idea.

Though it could accelerate the problem.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Some reading, here... but I dont think it adequately covers the issue copy/paste both lines

Backyard Mechanic

Hi there; Thanks for the info and the reading, that was helpful, I did solve the problem at least somewhat for now by putting a flow restrictor into the bypass tube of the heater core. That helps a great deal, it is still somewhat slow in getting hot when it is really cold, about -5°F, I am not sure why that is. The engine doesn't have the Ford yellow stuff in it, it has the regular green coolant, but it seems to be good to go for now.

Reply to
Finnick