2002 Ford Escape 4-cyl manual dies on idle, or coming to a stop

Usually it happens when the engine has warmed up. When you approach a street corner, you apply the brake and downshift, the rpm drops to 0 as you depress the clutch to select your gear. It also happens when the vehicle is in neutral, engine running on idle, you blip the throttle to 2500 rpm and release, and then the RPM drops to zero and engine dies. Sometimes it would recover but most of the time, if flat dies out. Please write me your thoughts. Thanks!!!!

Reply to
silverbell

I rarely downshift. I figure replacing my brake pads is a lot cheaper than replacing a clutch. Plus, not downshifting helps keep my engine running at a slower speed, which decreases ever so slightly the wear and tear on the engine.

I have no idea what is causing it.

However, one important thing for those with a clue to know whether or not the engine starts up after it stalls and how easily.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There's an idle control valve that's worn or just sticking. Sometimes cleaning works, but the safe bet is to install a new one.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke