99 Camry dies on right turns

My 99, 4cyl with 92,000 miles had died on three occasions over the past few months when making a right turn. In each case I've been able to put the car in neutral and restart it immediately (without even coming to a stop). It appears to be an electrical issue since the radio loses all its settings on each occasion (but the clock doesn't). I don't recall if the radio was actually on with the 1st instance several months ago, but I think it was on the last two.

The turns have been at slow speed into driveways: #1, after driving 19 miles to work and turning into the parking lot. #2, drove a mile and turned into the bank, #3 about 2 miles and turned into the auto parts store. The last instance the weather was damp and cool, the 1st 2 warm and dry.

I fear if I take it in it will be one of those issues where they start at the headlights and replace everything electrical until they get to the license plate light before the find the cause! Anyone ever have this sort of problem (since the old days of carbs that is!).

Mark

Reply to
Mark

How well does your car idle? Is it a nice, steady 700 rpms, or does it vary a lot when you're in the driveway or stopped at a stop light?

Reply to
Nobody Important

Reply to
Mark

Watch things on the ride in and home today, some freeway some main streets, and the RPM seemed to stay steady. I used the cruise to help offset any foot actions, and the roads are flat so not much need for gas to maintain an even speed.

That said, when I read Sharoon's post about her dash lights dimming, I remembered that last time I drove at night I noticed the radio lights seemed to 'flicker' for un-known reasons. Just the radio, not the heater controls or other dash lights. The radio is Toyota installed, but not the original. I bought the car from my sister and she had the radio-CD player installed to replace the original radio-tape player when the car was new. She did have to take it back once because the radio reception was not good. I think they didn't connect the antenna correctly.

I'm going to ride with the radio off for the most part, particularly when I have to be somewhere. Maybe on Saturday's I'll use the radio for trips around the neighborhood to see if it dies on right turns!

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Does the red battery light (looks like a rectangle with plus and minus symbols above it) ever come on while the engine is running?

Reply to
Nobody Important

Sounds like you have a problem with your electrical connections. Make sure your battery cables are making good contact. If they are corroded take them off and clean them. Check the fuses for the circuit that powers the radio for anything that could stop the engine. My VW wabbit had a spotty fusebox that would cause the fuel pump to operate in a probably but not necessarily mode. That was fun. The good news is that the fix would probably cost next to nothing - if you can ever find it. Good luck.

david

Reply to
dsi1

If the radio lost the presets it means the battery was disconnected, maybe an intermittent connection.

I think right turn is only a coincidence.

sounds like that the engine dies when your in slow speeds, did the engine vibrated and died right after you release your foot from the gas pedal ? In neutral, rev hard once and release, does the rpm drop below normal and then go back up to normal?

how well is your car doing, maintenance schedules on time, ignition parts, fuel injection cleaners, etc

Reply to
EdV

You are probably right, but in any problem determination it is best to consider all facts and conditions

Yes, definitely a slow speed, but with so acceleration - but I regularly experience similar speeds, stopping and starting at a light or stop sign, pulling thru the back drive-thru, etc.

Just died, no vibration, shuttering or any other discernable noise. Seemed more that it might have died as I began to give it gas.

In neutral, rev hard once and release, does the rpm drop

Seemed to behave normally both when cold and after warming up.

It's a Toyota! Never had any problems. Has had routine maintenance as needed.

Reply to
Mark

If all electricals are good, it maybe a sticking throttle plate. Search this group for old post on how to inspect and if the same symptom.

Reply to
EdV

Just a hunch - it might be the EGR modulator.

I had a stalling problem on my '96, especially after exiting from the freeway and approaching a stop light. Unplugging the EGR line and putting a nail in there stopped my stalling. Replacement of the EGR modulator, no more stalling.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett