2006 Escape vibration

A friend is having a problem with his new Escape. Seems he has a vibration around 65-70 MPH that he noticed almost immediately upon taking delivery of the car. The dealership mechanics looked it over and proclaimed that the factory tires were not OK. They put on new tires and actually reduced the vibration somewhat, but it is still there and still noticeable.

They checked alignment, balance, etc; the car has been back in the shop several times with no improvement. He also went to a different Ford dealer, in the hopes that a change of venue would help. It didn't; it's still giving him grief.

I looked through this newsgroup and it seems to be pretty active. I did a search on "Escape" and "Vibration" and nothing turned up. I also checked the NHTSA website for recalls, TSBs and general complaints. Nothing there either.

So it appears that this problem is either unique to his vehicle or there is something else going on. Perhaps he is more sensitive to this and others have noticed it also, but did not find it objectionable to the point of seeking a remedy, as he has.

Any comments from Escape owners would be helpful. Unless, of course, there is nothing to say about this matter.

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
KWS

At this point, I can only suggest that your friend find a shop that can "road force balance" the tires. The machines that can do this are very, very spendy so not many shops can do it at this point in time. I recall a TSB regarding tire/wheel NVH concerns but I can't remember the affected vehicles. IF you can find a shop with the capability, save multiple copies of the receipt and RO in hopes that Ford will reimburse for the service. You can PM me the VIN and I can check OASIS to see if there's anything pertinent to the condition listed.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I had the same type problem with a new Neon years ago and gave up trying to get it fixed after MANY trips to the dealer. I dumped the car latter because of the vibration. Please don't give up trying to get it fixed. Demand a new Escape! Call the district ford rep. and be firm with them! Most states have lemon laws. If you have the money call a lawyer, a letter from one will go a LONG way.

Good luck... Skyhawk

Reply to
Skyhawk

Thanks. I'll pass this information and advice along.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

My 2001 Escape makes a similar vibrating noise. Dealer's "ace" mechanic road tested and found nothing wrong apart from very, very slight cupping. Seems Escapes transmit tire noise. I turn up the raido and live with it. Your friend might get more advice here:

John Keiser