2008 Fusion Front right wheel almost fell offat 45K miles

Hi Group.

I had been hearing a ticking sound coming from the front for a few days. Checked if the tires had picked up something. Nothing found. So I took off the front tires. The only thing I noticed was the outer inch of the right rotor was scored badly like you get if you don't change the brakes. The brake pads had lots of thread (45K miles) so I ruled that out. Upon putting the tire back on I noticed something odd. Taking the wheel back off I noticed you could move the rotor side to side and in and out. Just plain very loose. It looked scary. So I had AAA tow it into Ford. They said it was that the hub nut was loose. So they tightened it up, said everything was fine and off I went. They didn't mention the scored rotor. I usually rotate the tires at 10k miles and everything was solid up until now. I guess eventually I would be driving and the whole hub and tiire would have fell off and I would have had a lot of damage!

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Did you buy it new? Those are torqued to about 120 lbs, not too likely to come loose.

Reply to
Dick Cheney

I bought this new. The only thing I can think of was that just before the noise started someone reported they had bumped the curb hard on that side. So I would imagine the bolt was torqued ok but was torqued up against something in there that dislodged when the tire bumped the curb.

Reply to
Fred

So your post should have been, "Wheel almost fell off after family member smacked a curb and I didn't check it out" instead of insinuating that a front wheel almost fell of your low mileage car for no apparent reason.

It always helps to know all the circumstances.

Reply to
Dick Cheney