I have a Ford Crown Vic LTD 5.0 engine. I seem to be having a draw on the
battery some where and I can't find it. Now I replaced the battery,
altenator, the battery cables, voltage regulator, I removed all the fuses,
the radio and I also took the light bulbs out of the glove box and trunk. I
still am getting a draw somewhere. When I am driving with the A/C on the fan
blows harder when driving than it does while idling. Any help I could get
would be great. Also does anyone know where the relay is located for the
windshield wipers on my model?
Thanks for the reply, I don't have a power antena, I have disconnected the
voltage regulator and still getting a draw, they way I am testing for a draw
is I take off the negative battery cable off the battery post. I connect one
end of a circut tester to the battery cable and touch the other end to the
battery post and I get a solid fairley bright light. Only way I know how to
do it. Then again I am no mechanic or what have you and have limited tools.
Thanks though for any help.
That's all you need to do to test for a draw. Have you removed the fusible
links one by one from the starter relay? If you have the door open, put a
tennis ball on the pin to eliminate any circuits opened by having the door
open. Sometimes it's more than just the lights.
Is the battery discharging over night or in a few days? Why do you think
there is a draw?
I am asking because a weak ground (or rust between body components) can
weaken the ground line, causing the symptoms you describe. I had some goofy
trouble codes and very intermittent problems with the engine electronics on
my '84 'Bird until I repaired a few splices in the ground wires that got
corroded. The fan probably uses the body for ground. The connection
between body and engine can get corroded and cause similar symptoms.
If you are seeing a spark when reconnecting the battery, that's normal. I
think Ford still recommended using a test lamp to check for current draw in
'85. With the car off, (and probably hood lamp pulled) you disconnect the
battery cable, then make the connection between cable and post with a test
lamp. Anything more than a low glow suggests a current draw. Kind of a
goofy test, but it's been used for years. I used a taillight bulb with
wires soldered to it. It glowed quite a bit but you could tell it wasn't
I hope this helps.
Paul in Dayton
Some good sugesstions. I will double check the ground and try cleaning where
it connects to the block, I already replaced the negative battery cable one,
but and going to have to do that again. I didn't run it correctly and as a
result it got too close to a belt and worn some of the outer coating off. Oh
and if I leave the battery cable on? Well I get off of work at 9:00, get
home by 9:30pm, I go to work at 12:00 noon and if I left the cable on the
battery I would come out to a bead battery. Also does anyone know where the
relay is for the windshield wipers on this model? My wipers are stuck on and
I have to pull the fuse to turn it off.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.