95 Escort Wagon- EGR troubles...

Ok, I took your advice and procurred a code reader, and found that the "check eng" light was due to a bad EGR valve. I purchased one just today and was well under way to put it on when i hit a snag...the tube fitting that connects the EGR valve and exhaust manifold are completely rusted together and wont free. Does someone make a tube for this, or do I have to get one made? if so, where and how to I do that?? thanks...

Reply to
Randymazz

That tube can be a real pain to get off. Try soaking the nut and threads in 'PB Blaster' penetrating fluid for a day or more without driving the car. If you start the engine too soon, the heat will evaporate the penetrating fluid before it's had time to work. Even so, it could require some heat from a torch to loosen the nut. It might be easier if you remove the entire assembly with the EGR valve and tube still attached so you can work on the nut but I don't recall if this is possible on the 1.9 engine. If so, you would have to loosen the nut on the other end of the tube at the exhaust manifold and that could be just as difficult. I suppose you could cut the tube at some accessible location if you intend to replace it but you would still have to get the tube nut loose on the exhaust manifold. My experience has been that the nut on the exhaust manifold is usually easier to loosen than the EGR end. The EGR tube is a dealer part and it's not cheap. The lowest online price I found was about $170! That would make me search the junk yards for a good one before paying that much for a new one.

Reply to
Fordfan

the manual i use had me take the whole tube off the manifold with the valve still attached, but the valve and tube are soo well fused together, vise grips and a very large adjustable couldn't break them free. But if the tube fitting is so far gone, wouldn't it be advisable, though very expensive no doubt, to get a new tube? I checked with AutoZone and various other parts places, and they stock straight tubing that might be bendable, ever heard of that?

Reply to
Randymazz

Hey, what do you know! I had a friend from my church help me soak the EGR valve and tube with penetrant, and the parts separated within 10 minutes! So, the new valve is on and working great...only now I have a new code come up that says "Cylinder identification circuit failure." ...you gotta be kidding me! so what does this new code mean? Is it detrimental to run the car with the code active? I must certainly say that the engine runs much better with the new EGR vavle on it...Thanks for all your help, please keep it coming!!!

Reply to
Randymazz

Voila! Never underestimate the power of a good penetrating fluid. What kind did you use? Sometimes you have to soak the part overnight to get it loose. Did you have much trouble getting the nut loose at the other end of the tube on the exhaust manifold? How many miles on the car? I don't have a clue what that new code means. What's the number? I didn't think a 95' Escort with the OBD-I system had the ability to identify problems with particular cylinders.

Reply to
Fordfan

the numeric code for this problem was a 214 or a 412...whichever lists the "cylinder identification circuit fault/failure." I'm not sure what's going on with it, but the car is running a whole lot better now. The penetrant was liquid wrench; we took the whole tube off with the valve still attached since it was the fitting that connected the tube to the valve that was the sore spot. after about 10 minutes of spraying and tapping, the fitting broke free. I had no trouble at all with the fitting on the end that went on the o2 sensor, just a little knuckle busting trying to wrench around the plug wires and radiator. all I did was remove the breather tube, 2 elec connectors, 3 vacuum hoses and it had plenty of room to come out in one piece. thanks for your advice, hope your Christmas was well!

Reply to
Randymazz

oh, the car has 133,000 miles on it, and runs great!! ...(now..lol)

Reply to
Randymazz