1994 Plymouth Acclaim check engine light

The check engine light keeps coming on in my girlfriends Acclaim. It has oil and coolant. What else could be causing the light to come on? Thanks.

Reply to
<he1vis

The light means the engine computer detects a problem. This car has on-board diagnostics that can help you figure out where the problem is.

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on, leaving it "ON". Do not go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" light. It will turn on, then go off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored. For instance, if it flashes:

flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a

55 (five and five). 12 means "start of codes", 55 means "end of codes". Check the codes and report what you find.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

In my experience, the CE light often reflects a condition such as a sensor input which is out of range of what the control module accepts as normal. The sensor may be bad, or an engine condition may be present which generates a sensor signal which then trips the check engine sequence..

Could be a lot of things. Don't throw parts at it..Have someone scan it for you, or take it to a mechanic who can diagnose the problem exactly.

Reply to
<HLS

Hi Daniel. I did what you suggested and I have a code 37 and a code 32. Let me know if you know what those are. Thanks for all the help, John.

Reply to
<he1vis

32: EGR system fault

37: Transmission torque converter lockup clutch circuit open or shorted (probably because somebody pulled the plug, which lives next to the trans fluid dipstick).

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks Daniel. I'll see if the plug is pulled for the transmission error. What should I do for the EGR error? Thanks again!

Reply to
<he1vis

It's probably either a faulty EGR valve or a clogged EGR crossover pipe, but could be another fault.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Upon closer inspection I find that the transmission sensor seemed to be connected properly but I pulled it off just in case and noticed that there is transmission fluid in the socket. Is this normal? I wiped it out with some q tips and put it back on but I still get the error. As for the EGR valve, it looks to be connected properly (no hose cracks or anything), so should I remove it and clean it with something? I did notice that the car will rev up and then go back to normal idle repeatedly while just sitting in park. I assume that is because the EGR is throwing something off? Advance Auto wants $69 for a replacement EGR. Should I just replace it? Will it hurt anything if she were to drive it anywhere or will it just have crappy gas mileage and the funny idle? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
<he1vis

Nope. Something's probably broken. Note that this code won't make major problems for you or the car; you'll just lose about 6% fuel economy over

45mph if you don't fix it.

You'd have to clear the codes and see if the 37 comes back -- they don't self-clear. Clearing the codes is achieved by removing the negative battery cable for 2 minutes, then reconnecting it.

You can try, though sometimes they're so carboned up that replacement is the only option. The EGR valve on this car connects to an EGR crossover tube, which is a metal pipe that runs from the exhaust manifold up and across to the EGR valve where it sits on the intake manifold. This pipe can and does eventually become clogged with carbon, necessitating cleaning or replacement.

Not normal.

Probably about what you'll spend, but check

.

A faulty EGR valve *can* cause collateral damage in addition to the driveability and mileage reductions. This ought to be fixed.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks for all the help Daniel. After cleaning the transmission sensor and reconnecting it and replacing the EGR valve, all errors are gone. You sure know alot about the Plymouth Acclaim! Thanks again!

Reply to
<he1vis

Terrific! Is it running better?

I've owned a few of them. For your next project, you may want to go through the crankcase ventillation system; see

Also, when next it's time for spark plugs, note that the NGK ZFR5N, gapped to 0.040", will improve driveability and idling. Another thing to look out for on that car: cooked/cracked hoses near the throttle body.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

replying to Daniel J. Stern, Waydejr wrote: Sorry for posting on old form chances are I won?t get a reply but can I post a short video of my check engine flashing, not sure what error it?s givimg me

Reply to
Waydejr

replying to Waydejr, Waydejr wrote: Here?s the video I?m talking about, any and all help would be nice. I?m waiting on a new distributor and spark plug wires the guy who gave me this car said it did run at one point and I did hear it fired up for a bit about 10 seconds then it died so that new distributor is a must.

Reply to
Waydejr