95 Lincoln Town Car Climate Control

My 95 Town car w/ automatic climate control will no longer respond to the selectors. The temp control properly controls the temp, but the air flow is only at the floor and defroster. Seems to be divided approximately equally between heat and defrost. Pushing on an individual button has no effect. I can not select heat only, or defrost only, or vent only... well, you get the idea.

I assuming this is a fault of the vacuum motor that diverts the air to the correct outlet, but this is an assumption. My only pre-indication of this failure was a few weeks vefore it "stuck" I would loose the a/c from the panel vents when I needed hard acceleration. When back to steady speed, the air would return to the vents. That's where I'm getting the vacuum motor theory.

Would like to know if anyone has experience with this problem, and ideas for troubleshooting and confirming. Secondly, any details on replacing the part would be appreciated.

It is difficult for me to find time to check all the NGs, so anyone who is willing to reply directly to me via email would be appreciated.

Thanks,

VideoGuy email-(gkasten at brick dot net) (Everybody should be able to get the real email address from these hints.)

Reply to
Video Guy

Sharon K.Cooke

Reply to
crownvicowner

The climate control is both electronic and vacuum controlled. The temperature and blower speeds are controlled electronically and the air distribution is controlled by vacuum. The first thing to do is to see if the control head is at fault. With the car fully warmed follow the directions below.

To enter the Self Test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds.

To exit Self Test and retain error codes, push the blue (cooler) button. The control will exit Self Test, retain all error codes and then turn OFF (display blank).

To exit Self Test and clear all error codes, press Defrost button. The VFD window will show 000 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC Control Assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all codes will be cleared.

000 is a pass. 024 to 125 are fault codes. I suspect you will get a pass code because of your description of the problem.

There are three vacuum motors. All can be viewed from under the dash, just remove the trim panels under the dash.

One for the defrost/floor one for the panel registers and one for outside air. You need to check to see if the control head has vacuum to it. You need to check that the vacuum lines are attached both to the motors and control head. All the vacuum lines are in a harness and attach to the control head in a single connector. By pulling out the control head you can remove the connector and with a vacuum pump test the motors and line for vacuum leaks. With the engine running you will be able to see if there is supply vacuum to the head. If there is supply vacuum to the head and there are no leaks in the other circuits, the control head is most likely at fault.

Reply to
Thomas Moats