Need EATC for 95 Town Car

The Electronic Automatic Temperature Control on my 95 Town Car is bad, (or so I believe.) A brief description of the trouble...

Last Summer I noticed that when I accelerated hard with the A/C on, the airflow would switch from the panel vents to the floor and defroster. After letting up on the gas, it would return. (vacuum problem? that was my guess) Now the airflow is continuously at the defroster and the floor (heater). Pressing the selector buttons for Automatic, or Max Ac, Norm Ac, Vent, Floor, Floor&Def, and Defrost has no effect where the air flows. The temperature settings do change the temp, and bring on the compressor when needed. The fan speed wheel does control the fan speed. Fan also works OK in Automatic setting, increasing in speed if you change the temp setting by more than a few degrees, and then slowing after interior temp stabilizes at new setting.

So, basically, it works except for the ability to put the air where needed. Since hot weather is almost here, it would be nice to have more efficient A/C; especially for the people in the back seat. I have checked the vacuum line from the engine to the back of the controller, and there is vacuum there. Do not have any way to quantify how much, but regardless, it's there. The vac lines do not appear to be leaking. I'm assuming something or someTHINGS are bad within the body of the dash-mounted EATC

Questions- First, does anybody agree (or disagree) with my assessment? Second, anyone know where to purchase new/rebuilt EATC at reasonable price; OR get this unit rebuilt? [Last Winter I located online a source for a new(?) EATC, but can't recall where. Remembering the price was between $350-$400. Ouch!!!] Third, Anybody know how to diagnose that THIS is really the problem or should I should take it to the Mercury dealer and pay for a diagnosis.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. If you prefer to correspond directly, you may reply directly to

Thanks in advance, Gary Kasten

Reply to
VideoGuy

Sounds more like you need the plenum assembly, there is a TSB for this.

Reply to
Michael O

Huh? What's a plenum assembly? Can you give me more specifics? How do I find this TSB and get a copy of it?

Reply to
VideoGuy

I will bet you dollars to donuts that you have a vacuum leak in one of your vacuum motors on the climate control. Finding it is another issue.

I had a similar problem with my taurus. The vents would shift where the air come out when i accelerated. It turned out to be a leaky vacuum motor. I bought a manual handheld vacuum pump. I then put it on each vacuum motor and looked for operation and leak down. The bad one would leak down quickly.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Bob,

I'm thinking exactly along those lines too. I'm assuming you're referring to the vac motors INSIDE the EATC controller in the dash, and not the vac motors attached to the various dampers UNDER the dash.

Do you know if the the EATC can be disassembled and individual motors replaced? If so, How? Where? etc.

Thanks, GWK

Reply to
VideoGuy

My taurus had a manual climate control, so some stuff does not apply. But most of the dampers as such are basically the same. Any of the vacuum motors can cause a problem if they leak. I believe it was one of the dampers under the dash that was my problem. It was NOT the fresh air blend door. You really need a factory EVTSM manual to properly track down all the vacuum lines to test them. I know i did not have to disassemble the plenum to change out the one i had leaking.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Get a good manual first. Many of the blend functions in my '95 Crown Vic are controlled by electric motors... I'm sure the TC is similar.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

thinking back many years ago with vacuum controlled windshield wipers it was when the gas was given to drive off that the w/shield wipers would stop and as you smooth out the wipers would start to move again.. the reason for this is that the car would loose vacuum when you give it gas.. and in your case its probably the same problem.. you are loosing vacuum when giving it gas and the vacuum controlled device*(the a/c unit is not being held into the position that it is suppose to be in when you give it gas... probably a vacuum line loose or off??? thats the most common problem when the a/c comes out the dash or floor or someother place than where it is suppose to .... its the vacuum on the blend door not holding the blend door in the proper postion...... you have a 96 mercury.. i will check my 96 ford servcie cd and see if it covers the town car??? dont know but i bet the same parts are put into the a/c system in most ford/mercury products and will post what i find in a few days... if the kids let me use the computer>.... ha, ha,ha....

Reply to
jim

Paul is on track. There is a vacuum check valve on the firewall in the engine compartment and a reservoir on a fender well (follow the line from the check valve)that would be a great place to start. Use a handheld vacuum pump with a gage. Those two components keep vacuum applied, during acceleration, to the vacuum doors that control airflow. Because of the electronic control on the blend door the air will stay cool. Before the EATC system, the vacuum lose would cause you to have hot air as well. A good service manual will help you out.

Gordo

Paul of Dayt> Get a good manual first. Many of the blend functions in my '95 Crown Vic

Reply to
Gordo242