96 Town Car air suspension

The check air suspension light comes on after having people in the back seat or a load in the trunk is removed. The suspension raises to equalize the load but it takes several days to lower to normal level. The air pump was replaced about a year ago and I recently replaced the old air springs myself with new ones from Arnott. Does anyone know what could cause it not to lower when the load is removed or how to correct it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
Donny Angel

From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Donny=A0Angel)

The check air suspension light comes on after having people in the back seat or a load in the trunk is removed. The suspension raises to equalize the load but it takes several days to lower to normal level. The air pump was replaced about a year ago and I recently replaced the old air springs myself with new ones from Arnott.

Does anyone know what could cause it not to lower when the load is removed or how to correct it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

=3D=3D> the ride height sensor sends a signal to the differential amplifie= r located on the inside of the trunk by the right wheel. the purpose of this amplifier is to sense whether the height of the car called "trim height" is either too low or too high. if it is too high, it is suppose to send a signal to the solenoid that releases the air from the air bag until the correct trim height is obtained. so, check the amplifier or the solenoid as a possible cause for why it is operating correctly.

when everything was working correctly, you might have notice that when you got out of the car and shut the driver's door, you would hear air being released and the back of the car lowers. this is how it is suppose to work.

hope this information help.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional = "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer

Water saturated dryer causes venting restriction and makes pumping up more difficult.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

[...]

Thanks Curtis, at least I now have a clue where to start looking. I really appreciate the help. Don

Reply to
Donny Angel

Thanks for replying but it pumps up just fine but it takes a few days to go down.

Reply to
Donny Angel

"but it takes a few days to go down." And that would be the venting restriction caused by the water-saturated dryer. It may pump up just fine for now, but that's with a relatively new compressor that's overpowering the restricted dryer. Time is also a factor in raising the rear; it should do it in 10 seconds or so, and anything much more indicates a restriction. Here's a forum where the moderator knows ALL about Lincoln air suspension systems. Ask there:

Sharon Cooke

"but it takes a few days to go down." And that would be the venting restriction caused by the water-saturated dryer. It may pump up just fine for now, but that's with a relatively new compressor that's overpowering the restricted dryer. It could also be a rusted vent valve at the compressor - Arnott compressors are notorious for this. Time is also a factor in raising the rear; it should do it in 10 seconds or so, and anything much more indicates a restriction. Here's a forum where the moderator knows ALL about Lincoln air suspension systems. Ask there:

Sharon Cooke

Reply to
Donny Angel

The dryer is attached to the compressor at one end, and the airlines are attached to the other end of the dryer. ALL the AS system air is supposed to enter thru the compressor, thru the dryer, then to the air springs, where each air spring's entry/exit air is controlled by a solenoid valve. Releasing air for leveling after the weight's been removed is the reverse process, with the added step of the compressor also having a computer controlled vent valve.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Thanks again. I have been away from the computer and so busy. As soon as I have time I will check out the dryer. Don

Reply to
Donny Angel