97 escort fuel gage/purge valve fault

I have a 99 ford escort, the fuel gage is stuck at 1/2 tank. and there is a purge valve fault code making the check engine light stay on. are these related? i have changed the purge valve, the canister, and checked to make sure everything with this system is working. the other problem is the gas gage... stuck at 1/2 tank. the only think i can figure is the purge valve system checks the tank pressure, and since the tank isnt at 1/2 tank of gas the system receives an error and the check engine light comes on. am I off in left feild here? any suggestions on how to fix this.... the car runs perfectly besides this and had a rebuild not to long ago; but it wont pass emmissions with the engine light on.

Reply to
xmirage2kx