97 Taurus Front Brake Rotor Warping - Suggestions for Aftermarket Rotors?

After at least 4 or 5 episodes of this problem on my 97 Taurus wagon over

97K miles, I am ready to try using aftermarket rotors. Up to now, I have had the problem worked on by the local Ford dealer service. All but the last rotor replacements at about 30K ago were covered under warranty. The service manager swears that they are not overtorquing the lug nuts. I am not an overly aggressive driver that puts lots of demand on the brakes. I'm starting to suspect that the stock Ford front rotors are somehow inherently deficient in their design. This time, I'm going to do the work myself, and am looking for suggestions, if any, on a suitable source of aftermarket rotors, either stock type, or high performance. Any suggestions? How widespread is this problem (I have heard of many others locally with the same problem - not necessarily all being serviced by my local Ford dealership.)

Chris Bowne Stonington, CT

Reply to
Chris Bowne

i go to the

web site, alot of contour owners there..... i got a 96 contour and needed to replace the front pads on the brakes... one of the rotors had some scoring on it and needed to be machined.. i was leary about machining these thin rotors... for about $25-$30 each i went to auto zone and got two new rotors, thats about 3 yrs. ago and no problems with it..... also when you do the brake job, make sure you clean up all the old stuff, take out some brake fluid with a turkey baster(large plastic eye dropper thing), cost about $2.00 at walgreen drug store... and use a large C-clamp to squeeze the piston back into the calier so the pads can get back on.... and take off the bolts/pins that hold on the caliper and clean them off real good and use some high temp. brake grease for the pin that lets the caliper slide back and forth(this could be the problems with the rotor warping, too much pull on one side of the rotor when braking)...... hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I have used imported aftermarket rotors on my earlier tauri and have had good luck. For the money you save on the cheaper ones, just replace them with the pads ever 30K or so. (assuming you do it yourself). I think they make them lighter and thinner in the 96 and newer cars.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

Hi Chris. I replaced my rotors back in dec. on my '97 GL and did the SHO upgrade with the 1" larger rotors. I used Bendix rotors and pads, probably about mid-quality. If you're interested in doing the SHO brake upgrade all you will need is the caliper brackets from fordpartsnetwork.com, along with the rotors and pads to do it. It's worked great for the 6 months I've had'm on, as the same for others who've had the SHO upgrade for longer. Good luck,

Tom

Reply to
Tom Leser