'01 S-Type with under 19,000 miles needs new front brake pads & rotors!?

I was told by my service advisor today (after performing a $170 Cdn oil change)that my 2001 V6 S-Type with about 30,000km or under 19,000 miles need new front brake pads soon. He told me that I only have 15% of the pads left. That's my first surprise! I literally fell off my chair when he told me that I will have to replace the rotors as well! He explained that Jaguar, because of the weigh of the car, does not recommend machining the rotor. In fact, the dealership does not have a machine to machine the rotors. Total costs is $630 Cdn + 15% taxes or $485US.

Can anyone give me some suggestions as to whether my service advisor is for real? What about the fact that I need new pads with less than 30,000km? What's with that?

I am in Toronto, if there are other readers in the GTA, speak up please. I service my car at Grand Touring.

Reply to
Matt Au

I'd also put your query on to jag-lovers.org , to widen the search.

Reply to
Comm Clinic

Jaguar has always made their rotors so that they were not to be turned. I have 3 Jags, the newest being a 1988 and they are all that way. The rotors are also designed to not have to be replaced every time you change pads. I have had 2 sets of pads on one set of rotors in the front of my '88 and there is still no warpage and I am still in specs for the rotor thickness. The last set of pads went for 35,000 miles before it needed changing.

The comment that Jaguars are heavier cars is basically true EXCEPT for the fact that your S-Type is essentially the same design and weight as the Ford Taurus and the Taurus does not have these problems. My XJ40 is a MUCH heavier car than your S-Type and I don't have these problems. In fact my ORIGINAL S-Type, the 1967 doesn't go through pads like you are so this leads us to Jaguar owner's rule number one. As you only have 19,000 on your car, I assume you are a fairly new owner, thus you don't know the rule.

The rule is this: NEVER, never, never, never, never, never (Did I say never?) take your Jaguar to a Jaguar dealership for service of any kind unless it is under warranty. Jaguar dealers are notorious for having the ONLY solution being the replacement of the entire part when only an adjustment is needed. They are terribly over priced as well. Your $130(US) oil change at the dealership costs me $20.50(US) and I have to use 8.5 quarts in the XJ40 instead of 5 quarts like you use in the S-Type. I use off the shelf Purolators made for the Jaguar which have the backflow built in to the filter -- just like the OEM equipment.

I also wonder what it is that they plan to do exactly on the brake job. Aftermarket prices for 4 rotors and 4 pads sets for the S-Type totals $300US. Jaguar parts are usually MUCH more than aftermarket parts. With the price they gave you for the brake job, that leaves them with 1 hour labor. I would be highly suspect. To do the brakes on my '88 XJ40, it takes me at least 3 hours, and I DO know what I am doing. Wheel removal, caliper removal, pad removal, opening the brake fluid system, forcing the pistons back and inspecting the calipers, putting in new pads, re-assembly all takes more than 15 minutes per wheel. Then, since you have had the system open, you MUST bleed the fluid completely from the brake system if you want the components and ABS to last. This is recommended by Jaguar as well as every do-it-yourself owner I have ever run into.

Now the final question: Does 19,000 miles seem a bit light on the mileage? Yes, it does -- with one caveat. I have no idea how you drive. I have had friends go through a set of pads and rotors in less than 10,000 miles because they drive in city traffic, speeding between lights and braking hard. Normally, however, I would say there is something wrong.

Just my humble opinion

Webserve

Reply to
Webserve