97 Windstar Stalling, #6 misfire code

Hello,

I have a 97 windstar 3.8l. which I just purchased. The previous owner had the engine rebuilt (replaced with rebuild). The previous owner says she drove it home from the shop and put the for sale sign on it. I have returned to the shop that installed the engine and although very pleasant people have not been able to discover the source of my problem nor seem very motivated to do so. So I am here looking for some additonal suggestions and/or input.

The chcke engine indicator is on all the time and returns within 10 minutes of driving follwoing clearing the code.

From a stop, the engine stalls, occasionally dieing. If I "baby" the gas pedal I can avoid the stall but what a hassle.

At freeway speeds, the check engine indicator occasionaly blinks from solid and is associated with rough running and decreased power. Problem resolves itself in

30-60 seconds of continued freeway cruise. Occasionally, idle or low speed is rough but no flashing indicator.

The code logged is "misfire, cylinder #6" Hot or cold does not seem to matter.

In searching this problem out several other problems hve been discovered and thought to have resolved the problem but never do.

Out of the many trips to the shop there has been many parts changed including - plugs/wires - egr circuit repair - MAF cleaned etc. etc.

I did read in a post about a similar year and engine but in a different vehicle that the cat. conv. could be the culprit. I will be checking that. Also, the TPS was mentioned.

I am altogether confused as to why a (presumed) control problem triggers a misfire on #6 (or a code for it) when it seems that all cylinders would be effected by something like the CAT of TPS.

Thanks for your help Thanks for your help.

Reply to
abusinessman

Shoe Salesman

Thanks for that idea. I will look into it.

An additioanl follow up...

A new mechanic I am working with seems to think that maybe it is the crank and or cam shaft sensors. He thinks that if the sensor(s) are bad the misfire could be self induced. Im not sure how that would cause an idle speed stall from stop though. Seems to me that the idle would be very rough at idle if one cyl was misfiring consistently. Assuming that a bad sensor would cause the problem on a regular basis.

Thanks again.

Reply to
abusinessman

Shouldn't this be posted to alt.mindreaders?

Reply to
F.H.

I am not familiar with what your referring to "alt.mindreaders"

What is it and where is it?

Thanks

Reply to
abusinessman

Hi AB, It was intended as harmless mild sarcasm. Note how in this reply I included your question above my answer. When a poster fails to do that there is no way for anyone who clicks on that thread to have any quick reference to what you are saying. Hence, when I read "Thanks I will look into it" I have no idea what you are talking about. Also, you replied to your own post rather than the poster who offered some assistance. Again, no point of reference.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

"alt.mindreaders"

Hi AB, It was intended as harmless mild sarcasm. Note how in this reply I included your question above my answer. When a poster fails to do that there is no way for anyone who clicks on that thread to have any quick

reference to what you are saying. Hence, when I read "Thanks I will look into it" I have no idea what you are talking about. Also, you replied to your own post rather than the poster who offered some assistance. Again, no point of reference.

Frank[/quote:105f56862e]

I see, so im a noob and your a trouble maker and basically have nothing useful to ad to the thread? Am I understanding your role here correctly?

Thanks (for nothing)

Reply to
abusinessman