Rough idle and stalling at idle on my 95 Camry (2.2)

Once the car has warmed up, I'm occasionally getting a rough idle and sometimes it even stalls out. When I ran a diagnostic, I get no code on the check engine light but I am getting a 64 code off of the o/d light. The manual says this is a defective lock-up selenoid, open in wiring harness or short circuit. It seems to me that this would have nothing to do with my idle issue, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Reply to
frales

I forgot to add...the 4 cyl. 95 Camry has 112k, Ive already done the simple things such as changing cap, plugs, wires and air filter.

Reply to
frales

Right. The lockup solenoid is a separate issue. Try spraying some Tri-Flow in the rectangular opening at the bottom of the throttle body, right near the front. That's the air intake for the idle air control valve. Sometimes they stick.

Reply to
Daniel

Probably a dirty coil under dist cap, a problem most all camrys get

Reply to
m Ransley

If it is a dirty ignition coil do I need to replace it? Or can it be cleaned?

Reply to
frales

Clean it first mine only acted up when humid or rain, remove cap clean with alcohol and rag getting behind is impossible, maybe a spray electronic cleaner can be used, to remove coil the distributor must come out a PIA so try to clean and tighten dist cap tight. A common camry issue caused by a old O ring letting in oil.

Reply to
m Ransley

"frales" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

If it stalls after warmed up and when you stop at a stoplight, it could be the ever-infamous EGR valve.

Reply to
Cosgrove Hastings

-Tried the tri-flow in the throttle body and AIC valve, no luck.

-Took off the dist. Cap and blew it out, although it was recently replaced and not very dirty, still doing it.

I will get a hand vacuum pump today so I can test the EGR valve...checked the price and was suprised to see it was $160. Expected it to be less.

Reply to
frales

before replacing the EGR valve, check to see whether the supply pipe is blocked with carbon

Reply to
Daniel

Ive checked the EGR valve with a hand vacuum pump and it seems to be functioning properly, I even searched for vacuum leaks and found none.

Anyone have any other suggestions on what may be causing the erradic idle? I'm stumped.

Reply to
frales

It might work now, but you say it does this only occasionally, right?

You might have to sit there with the engine running all week to find anything unusual.

But... if you can, try taking the EGR valve out and try cleaning it...

Reply to
mrdarrett

Oh! That reminds me... try taking the cap off the EGR modulator (it looks like a black flying saucer) and tell us how the filter looks (it looks a bit like cotton). Is it burnt?

If you can, try cleaning it with compressed air.

The bottom side of mine (coarse side) on my '96 had two black burn marks on it... since the filter was falling apart anyway, I discarded the rough side and put the fluffy part back in. Haven't noticed stalling since (this was nearly a month ago).

Reply to
mrdarrett

Thank you all for your help on this aggravating matter. I did finally end up taking the car in to find that it was a bad ignition coil. Problem is it took them 2 hours to figure it out meaning it cost about $400 total. Not bad considering this is the only money I've had to put into the car since it was new.

Reply to
frales

Right, the coil is the most overlooked and common camry issue due to a poor design and location.

Reply to
m Ransley