98 Grand Marquis Alternator Problem

REcently had a problem with the pigtail conmnector on the right side of my alternator. The mechanic replaced it but didn't soldier the connections properly. Now I get intermitent charging. My daughter was driving at night and the head lights died. When I jiggle the wires, the alternator starts charging. Question, Is this a connector problem or a bad alternator. The mechanic is going to replace the connector again (at no charge) but I'm wodering if there is a more serious problem lurking.

Reply to
finiteguy

Be very suspicious of the connector. There are a few aftermarket alternators that include the pigtail connector with the alternator and insist that you replace it for them to honor their warranty.

Reply to
Kruse

Yeah, the more serious problem is that your mechanic doesn't know how to properly install the connector.

Reply to
dr_jeff

Final Verdict: The alternator was junk. Needed to be replaced. Not bad for 12 years and 185,000 miles

Reply to
finiteguy