A/C 94 crown vic

Hi! Just tried to put R134 in AC system -wouldnt take it and then notice compressor wasnt turning. No fuse location diagram on car - dont have owners manual - anyone out there know fuse locations for Air, etc? I found relay under hood- looks OK but will test. thanx for any help. bob

Reply to
ignatz

Well, if the system is dry, you'll need to jump the switch to force the compressor to run....

The safety switch prevents the compressor from running if it's low on freon.

Reply to
Mark

That sounds good- where is the saftey switch? I am not sure that the system is dry, either- thanx for the reply! bob

Reply to
ignatz

It's not really a safety switch, it's called the Low side cycling switch. It cycles the compressor during normal operation. The swithc is on the side of the accumulator (silver can near the firewall), jumper the connector with a paperclip and the compressor should engage. If the system is low on refrigerant you have a leak. With an empty system, it's an ideal time to fix any leaks. Look at the hose connections, especially near the condenser. If you see oily dirt on the fitting, there's a leak. A $10 set of tools for the fittings and $6 dollars in o-rings (enough to reseal the whole system) and you are back in business. If the system was empty you MUST pull it into a vacuum before charging. Air in an AC system is a bad thing.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Hi! I tried this - no luck, but then measured for voltage at compressor with AC on - had 13 volts. Assume then , that my compressor is bad?(it doesnt turn). Thanx for all of your valuable tips! bob

Reply to
ignatz

Probably not the compressor but likely the clutch. A much less expensive repair. Less messy a repair, too.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Jump the cycling switch then check for power AND ground at the compressor connector. If both are present the clutch coil is open. A coil by itself is available but most places only stock the clutch kit, about $80.

Bob, I just recognized your e-mail address. We know each other. Email me at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. If you're still in Wellington I can stop by and check it out for you. I may even have a coil, I'll have to look. Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Hi! Anyone out there have any tips on solving the tired wiper system on this car? They will usually stall after a few minutes. Sometimes jiggling the switch for the wipers helps, but might just be a coincidence. Everything seems aligned, I cleaned and greased system. I believe it is the motor, but maybe an undercurrent problem? Any help is appreciated. thanx, bob (ignatz)

Reply to
ignatz

A new motor fixed mine. Put in an el cheapo from Autozone 3 years ago. Lately, it has gotten a real workout.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

A new (reman) wiper motor will fix it. They rust and corrode internally after a number of years. Also, lube the pivot points in the wiper transmission with lithium grease.

Reply to
Tom Adkins