a question for Jim Warman.

hi Jim. i just bought an 02 diesel superduty, and it has the parking aid system . is there a way to test the system without buying a WDS 418-F224 diagnostic tool as described in the service CD??

the unit is constant on like there is something behind the vehicles, and i am suspecting a bad sensor. when i unplug one of the sensors, it does not work, so i am assuming that the sensors are wired in a series circuit. short of buying a new sensor and swapping out the sensors one at a time to find the bad one, is there any way a D.I.Y'r can diagnose the system??

also, it does not have a trailer brake controller in it. am i correct in assuming the 4 wires on the driver side under the dash at the fuse box are the wires used to connect the brake controller??

Reply to
Tom

Hi, Tom.... first thing I have to ask is if there is a hitch in the receiver on the truck..... If so, try removing it first... Not all hitches will trigger the PAM beeper, but it does seem to happen depending on how they may be set up.... Also, make sure the sensors are clean and free of debris (even having the tailgate down can trigger them). If those don't give you a solution, a "real" scan tool will be able to poll the Park Aid Module and retrieve a sensor specific code - All of the ones I see, a failed sensor will turn the PAM automatically...... I don't feel the concern is going to be a sensor, but, without the scan tool, your substitution method may be all that's left (unless there are two or more sensors involved - yes it would be a strange coincidence... but I ain't seen everything there is to see yet, either).

I'm going to assume that the wires you are referring to are the red, white, blue and black blunt cut wires? These four should be the "customer access" wires and the other ends of them should be right near the take-out to the underhood lamp at the firewall. With the knee bolster panel removed. look to the passenger side of the opening and there should be a six pin connector (I recall that the hardshell will be grey). This will be a plug in for the brake controller.... New, there would have been a corresponding connector in a bag in the cubbyhole.... occasionally, one might strike paydirt even on a truck a few years old...

Reply to
Jim Warman

ok, thank you sir. as usual, you are spot on. the pintle hitch was in there, but it still goes constant with it removed. and yes, i was referring to the r-w-b-bl. blunt cut wires. no connector in the cubbyhole though. this was a landscapers personal truck. while it was taken care of very well, it has 150k miles on it in 5 years, and there are allot of nickel and dime things missing on it. all the big dollar items were done to it by the local dealer already. front end completely redone, batteries, alternator, tires, brakes,and trans all within

6k miles, so i felt it was a good deal at $12k, and i am doing all the little stuff so it will last forever like my 88 diesel. top postingly yours, ;-)
Reply to
Tom

You gotta stop that top posting shit... it's much more fun to furble past lines and lines of shit I should have read in previous posts and get to the bottom to find some dumbass has decided to say "Me too"....

Anyway... the plug for the trailer brake controller should only be a few bucks from the dealer (or you could simply hard wire it in... everything you need for the brakes will be at that one connector).

The PAM sensors can have a pretty wide angle... so make sure there isn't anything they can "think" is an obstruction in the way (these alarms regularly sound when backing off my four post hoist) and be sure there isn't any crap on the sensors....

I'll go out on a limb and suggest biting the bullet for a code scan for the park aid system.... as I'd mentioned, all of the "bad" sensors I have encountered have turned the system .... Anyway.... you've got mail....

Reply to
Jim Warman

ok is this better?? :-)

i already ordered the plug from the local dealer. and i am gonna try cleaning everything and resetting the sensors and bezels. if that don't work, i will then take it in to the service dept.

the service writer owes me one anyway.

Reply to
Tom