can an exhaust leak cause sputtering?

hello,

I recently replaced my entire exhaust system (cat & all) on my 92 ford f150 (6 cyl). Upon a test run, I noticed that the car, on acceleration, sputters and rumbles profusely (1st gear seems ok, 2nd &

3rd are problemmatic). Could this be a result of something with the exhaust system? It was ok prior to the change though it has been sitting idle outside for several months now as well.

thx

Reply to
rottyguy70

Just took her out for a spin. It's actually a vibration issue. She always had some vibrations (that has gotten worse through the years) but it's much worse now with the new exhaust system. It happens on acceleration and high speeds (even with the clutch engaged). tranny seems to rumble/grind as well.

Reply to
rottyguy70

Check and make sure your new exhaust isnt hitting something and it should be on rubber hangers.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Just took her out for a spin. It's actually a vibration issue. She always had some vibrations (that has gotten worse through the years) but it's much worse now with the new exhaust system. It happens on acceleration and high speeds (even with the clutch engaged). tranny seems to rumble/grind as well. _________________________________________

Sputtering under high manifold pressure conditions (acceleration, high speed running) is often due to high voltage breakdown; spark plugs, plug wires, coil or distributor cap.

Good luck.

Rodan. __________________________________________

Reply to
Rodan

Just took her out for a spin. It's actually a vibration issue. She always had some vibrations (that has gotten worse through the years) but it's much worse now with the new exhaust system. It happens on acceleration and high speeds (even with the clutch engaged). tranny seems to rumble/grind as well. _________________________________________

Sputtering under high manifold pressure conditions (acceleration, high speed running) is often due to high voltage breakdown; spark plugs, plug wires, coil or distributor cap.

Vibration under high manifold pressure conditions (acceleration, high speed running) is often due to a worn universal joint in the driveline.

Good luck.

Rodan. __________________________________________

Reply to
Rodan

Hi Rodan, is a u-joint replacement better left to a shop to fix?

Reply to
rottyguy70

Didn't you say it vibrates after you changed the exhaust? What does the exhaust have to do with u-joints? It REALLY sounds like the exhaust is probably hitting something.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Check for broken engine mount, as well.

Reply to