Changing a drive belt.

Hello all and thanks in advance. I am trying to change a drive belt on a 95 mercury mystique and i have got it going the way that it is suposed to according to the diagram on the engine. The only thing is i cant seem to get the belt around the alternator and I cant reach the tension pulley to loosen it. Any suggestions to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
JustinKristopher

Remove the Windshield and radiator overflow tanks first.

Reply to
Kevin G. Torkelson

Its a self adjusted tensioner, you see a 3/8 square on the tensioner where you have to install your 3/8 ratchet and push it all the way to the other side

You wont get the belt on if you don't go all the way. make sure you have the right belt

Reply to
johanb

Thanks for you quick reply. ONe questions though How will that help me? My problem is with tensioning the belt and getting it on. That might give me a better reach, but is this a leverage issue that i can use?

Reply to
JustinKristopher

Thanks for your quick reply So i should not try to turn the screw just move it upward? How exactly would i accomplish that. I dont have a wrench long enough to get to it from the top side. I am having to jack the car up and go underneath the passanger wheel. Just insert the wrench and push upward?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
JustinKristopher

I guess you still have the old model without a auto tensioner.

Yes , turn adjusting screw all the way back to get the belt on and yes, its a lot easier to take the wheel and splashshield off.

Don't need to but its easyer

Reply to
johanb

It doesnt seam like you would have to go under the car but I don't know that car off hand. just try pushing on the ratchet which ever way that will move the tensioner so you can get the belt on. sometimes a small pipe on the end of the ratchet will give you a little more leverage. You are putting a ratchet in the square hole on the tensioner right?

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

The tensioner on the 2.0 Contour\Mystique can be a real bear due to clearance issues. Offhand, I seem to remember that it is easier from underneath through the wheel opening using a long 13mm wrench. I haven't done one in quite a while.

Reply to
Tom Adkins