Car mpg ratings going down

-- "If they pull a knife, you pull a gun. If they put one of yours in the hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue." Sean Connery, "The Untouchables"

Reply to
Jim Higgins

There ain't anybody that drive 60 MPH between Calgary and Edmonton... Been there done that - had to do my laundry....

Reply to
Jim Warman

The sticker MPG is obtained through carefully controlled conditions and is meant as a comparison between makes/models only....

The biggest contributing factor to poor fuel economy is the driver... either through poor habits, climate/demography or lack of proper maintenance. There isn't a sticker in the world that is going to fix any of these.

Modern folk appear to expect lots and deliver little...

Has anyone ever noticed that if you hang a sign that says "wet paint", most people have an overwhelming urge to actually touch it to see?

It's not a scam... it's called reducing noxious emissions in one fashion or another..... Done right, there is a very real chance that our great grandchildren will love us for our efforts....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Tell that to the cows, they don't seem to care about their offspring. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I put those kind of people in the same category as the ones who touch the metal bar with the sign "uranium rod, don't touch"

Reply to
Bob Brown

I have no trouble getting rated (or better) gas mileage on my 1995 Escort.

Reply to
scott21230

My Ford Escape Hybrid gets 40 in heavy city traffic. I expect that a Prius would actually get 50. My neighbor is commuting in some aggressive traffic on mountain roads and getting 45 in a Prius.

Reply to
dold

But that's where the test really went bad with the hybrids. The hybrids do overly well in the city cycle. The rules had to be adjusted to prevent them from starting with overcharged batteries and running much of the cycle on electric only.

In truth, they do get exceptional mileage in the city. Some of that should be achieved merely by shutting off the engine when stopped, which can be even more important in real life than in the EPA cycle.

Hybrids as Taxis:

Some of the "hypermiler" techniques used by hybrid drivers to get mileage in the 80s can be used in small conventional cars to get into the 60s.

Reply to
dold

What happens to Prius drivers when they have car wrecks @ 35+ mph? Do any of them live or not have paralyzed conditions?

MASS MATTERS

Reply to
Bob Brown

How would you fair in a wreck with that car?

Saving gas money is not going to help you in a car wreck.

Reply to
Bob Brown

Which would you rather have

  1. A car that gets 70 MPG but has a fatality rate near 100% in a car crash

OR

  1. A car that barely gets 20 MPG but has a fatality rate of near zero?

I'd choose #2 since saving money on gasoline will not save my life.

Mass Matters.

Ever see the result of motorcycle or bicycle accidents? It's nasty, lots of skin missing, heads missing, lots of dead people. But hey, they get EleventyBillion MPG..

Reply to
Bob Brown

We lived driving 850 minis and old VW bugs. Even 60's valiants and Novas were lighter than most of today's "compacts".

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

First, I'd look for a car that handled and stopped well enough to AVOID 90% of the crashes - preferably one that got about 60MPG and gave you a better than 50% chance of survival. Except for the 60mpg, there are quite a few of those out there. And if you don't drive over

50mph, the survival rate gets WELL over 80%
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I'm not sure what you're saying. The lighter Prius wouldn't fare as well, or the mass of the rear mounted batteries is significant enough to change the dynamics of the crash?

Reply to
dold

I see now. You're just spouting. It took three posts before you stopped being coy and said what you thought, but now you are comparing a car with a four star crash rating to a bicycle.

Reply to
dold

Yet it is a false choice. No car has a near 100% fatality rate.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yeap, when you have more mass in your car, your car must absorb more energy.

Do you know what the crash ratings are for the Prius?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I do Jim. 33mpg. Amazing. :)

Reply to
BradandBrooks

I've been driving Escorts since Jan 1985 and been in several wrecks already, and gasp, lived to talk about it.

Reply to
scott21230

So *you're* that asshole in the center lane of a 65mph-limit highway driving at 45mph. Slow drivers are hazardous to themselves and others on the highway. All the traffic passing and lane-changing around the slow 45mph vehicle is FAR more accident-prone than a steady-moving traffic stream at 70mph.

Additionally, I don't know what kind of handcarved hardwood Amish buggy you drive, but all my current-model vehicles shift down to a cruising RPM of around 1800 close to the 60mph mark. At 50mph they're doing >2200. So, what price gas mileage?

Damn troll.

Reply to
zwsdotcom