changing fuel injector

when changing a fuel injector on a 7.3 diesel what torque do you apply to the bolts?

Reply to
garyw

To install the injector.... first, check the torque on the top hold down bolt.... 10 ft/lb.... Next, blow any oil or debris out of the bottom hole - it gets 10 ft/lb as well. Spill spout is 9 ft/lb.

Next.... remove the glow plugs from any cylinders that have had the injectors out, install the valve cover with a couple of bolts and bump the engine over with the starter to clear oil and fuel out of the cylinder. Reinstall the glow plug and torque to 14 ft/lb.

If you do this last part without putting a valve cover back on - "I told you so..." 8^)

Reply to
Jim Warman

So what he really means is that if you dont put the valve cover back on, it will spew oil EVERYWHERE!!! The pressurized oil caught in the injector during injection is released through the top of the injector into the valve cover area... So litterally it will be everywhere...

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Actually, it is any oil and/or fuel that ran into the cylinder that will be expelled through the glowplug hole.... If there is an appreciable amount, it can travel at least three and a half bays - covering anything and everything in it's path.. There is enough force involved that it can lift an unsecured valve cover off the head and still have enough left over to make a messy clean up job. DAMHIKT!!!

Reply to
Jim Warman

Something tells me you are talkin from experience?? Dont worry, I know a couple other guys that learned that from experience too.. They had a full day of washing oil off of customers new cars.. LOL

Reply to
Ford Tech